Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Piston Replacement Question (Follow up question, post 3. Please look!)

I need to replace one piston on the 66V in my '99 XL 1200 Ltd. Is is safe to mix an aftermarket piston with the other two stock pistons, or do I need to replace with an OEM piston?

I have the feeling that mixing them is probably a bad idea, but it would be a lot cheaper than OEM, so I wanted to ask first. Thanks!

Scroll down for a follow up question.. TIA

·
Registered
209 Posts
nope it wont hurt....... if you look inside the piston it says ART.... thats the company that makes the piston,,, regardless of whether its oem or pro-x ...... get a pro-x kit,,,, just make sure the number on the jug matches the size of the piston..........

0-5 a
6-10 b
11-15 c
16-20 d

your jugs are numbered and the pistons are lettered.... make sure they match,, otherwise doesnt matter what brand name......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome, thanks for the info. I've got a pro-x kit on the way.

One more question: Is there anything special I need to do while reinstalling the piston? I'm specifically thinking of lubrication here, but any other info would be great too.

The yamaha service manual says which order things go back together, but it's pretty useless in terms of actual instructions.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info. I've got a pro-x kit on the way.

One more question: Is there anything special I need to do while reinstalling the piston? I'm specifically thinking of lubrication here, but any other info would be great too.

The yamaha service manual says which order things go back together, but it's pretty useless in terms of actual instructions.

not much, just dip everything in oil before you assemble it so its nice and smooth... the only order you need to worry about it the case bolts,,,,,, but nothing with the cylinders, just torque properly...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts