Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to tow a new to me 650sx with my pontoon boat that does not have the deck space for the ski. I have had a few good ideas of how to do this on the inexpensive side. My question is, I hear a lot of do not tow your ski without a clamp due to back pressure on cooling system, is this from the intake of the cooling system on the pump? If so if I tow the ski with a deflector on the under side of the ski I would assume this would prevent back fed water into the cooling sys. Am I correct on this?

Like one idea is to run it up on our 12'x6' float mat, and fold up and tie the front of the mat like the beginning folds of a paper airplane. Then tow from the ski's front eyelet with the rope through the front peak gap of the fold.
Another is to buy a cheap dingy with transom, then cut out a entrance in the transom to ride the ski into the dingy, then tow the dingy.

This is a smaller 7000 acre lake and will most likely not exceed 10 to 15 mph while towing.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From what I have read further on the cooling system and towing is that the cooling intake is in the pump housing. Yet the more I read on the precautions of towing is that the big warning is that the water will be pulled in through the exhaust when speeds exceed 5mph. That makes me think that I may need a suction cup style of cover to put over the exhaust when in tow. I also pulled out a Seaeagle 370 inflatable kayak a relative gave me they had stopped using. It has a weight rating over 600 pounds and will track better when pulled. Plus the material is must stronger than a Walmart raft. I am planning on loading the ski up in the kayak and testing this weekend. If it works will add pics of the method to my madness and how well it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have also secured a SeaDoo HX hull which I am going to attempt to modify to be my towing device. Will let you know which of the two solutions work and the pros and cons to either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts