Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 XLT 800 lost all power. I removed carbs and cleaned, also put fresh gas in and still have same problem. Plan on checking impellor for debris. Any other ideas. YPVS valves? Fuel Switch?

·
Registered
227 Posts
It doesn't rev up at all? Or revs up but just spins in place? Power Exhaust valves usually just affect high speed. How about a compression check and spark check? Might have done all that for nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Revs up on the trailer but not in the water. Carbs were not that dirty. Expected to find the small internal filters in the carb all blocked. Plan on doing a spark and compression test tomorrow. What is the test procedure for the power valves? Any other ideas? Thinking about taking off the fuel returns to verify good fuel flow. Also thinking about bypassing the fuel shut off valve and water separator incase they are contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just remove the power valve caps and check they are physically moving. Sometimes the electric motor works but the pin on top of the valve is broken. But it wont be the power valves. I'd be checking compression??? Let us know once you have done that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is an update:

Ski was bogging down and only running 5 mph. I cleaned the carbs and replaced as much fuel as I could with fresh 93 octane. I also installed an inline fuel filter as recommended by a local ski mechanic. After completing this the ski ran the same.

I then did the following:

1. Verified compression was good.
2. Bypassed the fuel valve selector and ran directly off of the reserve hose. The thought her was that the primary fuel supply hose could be partially blocked.
3. Bypassed the factor fuel filter
3. Put in new spark plugs.

Took the ski out and it ran fine for about 30 minutes and then began to lose power. There was fuel in the inline filter so I don't think it was running out of gas. The inline fuel filter did not look dirty, but changed it anyway. After a few minutes the ski began to run fine again. A couple of more times it ran poorly but the ran fine the rest of the day.

I am thinking that my problem was bad fuel and that I did not get enough of it out. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Were you running the fuel tap in reserve position. If so, the fuel sender for the reserve can grow hitting the bottom of the tank and restricting fuel flow. You can take the sender out, remove the silly flap from the bottom of the sender filter, and cut the reserve hose slightly on an angle. However, it should be running ok in the 'ON' position. If this is not the case, check the high tension leads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts