Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I was told that in the state of New Jersey, there is (or was) no title when purchasing a used wave runner? I was told this by a few private sellers as well as one dealer. They stated you just got a notarized bill of sale. Now is this b.s. because they lost the title? Or a few years back they really didn't "title" wave runners?

I know I have to register it, but if I don't have a "title", how would I do that?

I appreciate all the input, Thanks in advance:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you dont have a title, to register a waverunner in NJ you need the old owner's registration and a notarized bill of sale. Flemington, NJ DMV gave me a really hard time about this and asked me for a rubbing of the HIN #, but the Somerville DMV claimed they had no idea what flemington was talking about and did not require that.

I am not too sure about the history of titles on these things, but let's just say that NJ MVC is an AWFUL corporation and a title GREATLY improves the process. It is very possible that the seller lost the title. Selling the PWC without a title to someone out of state also causes issues, so I greatly hold value to having a title on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want a good dealer (who does issue titles), I suggest Flemington Yamaha (lowest prices in NJ) or Tom's River Yamaha (most knowledgeable).. Also I suggest Action Yamaha (they are knowledgeable about them) but I have not purchased a PWC from them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told that titles were not issued on waverunners, anything under 12'. Just a certificate of origin was given at time or purchase.

Thanks for all the info, I think I have a waverunner lined up, I just have to see if this deal comes through. This guys telling me waverunners dont get issued titles..I just want to make sure he's legit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm on my second PWC. The first one last year was a 2003, the current one is a 2010. I've had titles for both.
Where do you ride?
Good luck, and be safe.
Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive had maybe 6 used skis and now have a new one....Never seen a title for any of them. Never had an issue registering them, just used the old registration card, notarized nothing and had them all registered in my name without issue. Welcome to NJ!

·
Registered
125 Posts
you need the old owner's registration and a notarized bill of sale.
This is excactly what I needed when I purchased my used 2003 FX140. I was very uneasy about making the puchase for the same reasons that you are. I ended up calling NJMVC (888) 486-3339 to explain the situtation. They were able to link me to documentation off their website, which confirmed that the PWC would be untitled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts