Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an R-12x. First day I had it I went out to the lake and the water was in glass condition. It ran great and I loved the ski. I was concerned with a surging at full throttle but I think its just the rev limiter? The second and third day having the ski I went to two different lakes both of which were choppy and busy. The ski I'm used to riding a Yamaha VX Deluxe ran much better in this water. I could only stay on the ski to about 40mph because the ski jumps out of the water on any little wake.

So, my question is whats up with the surging? Is that just the rev limiter on this motor because on the sea-doo's and yamaha that I rode the rev just stops it doesn't actually bounce off a limiter.

And is there any way to get this thing setup better for rough water, not so concerned with speed in rough water just being able to keep it in the water. Even tiny ripples would get the ski bouncing a good bit and it takes very little wake to get this ski clean out of the water.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The surging is probably just hot weather, warm water and low octane fuel. The knock sensor will start pulling timing and boost if the engine is pinging. Be sure and use at least 93 octane fuel. Make sure that someone has not added a pump wedge or that will increase the proposing.
The R model is for mostly flat water or ocean wave jumper, it does not do well when the swells or boat wakes are big. The F models are somewhat better. The New Honda 15Xs are incredible in rough water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The surging is probably just hot weather, warm water and low octane fuel. The knock sensor will start pulling timing and boost if the engine is pinging. Be sure and use at least 93 octane fuel. Make sure that someone has not added a pump wedge or that will increase the proposing.
The R model is for mostly flat water or ocean wave jumper, it does not do well when the swells or boat wakes are big. The F models are somewhat better. The New Honda 15Xs are incredible in rough water.
So basically if I want to ride in choppy water i need to buy a different ski or deal with it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, just like my Allison boat [that I love] which is like a Ferrari, if I want to make ocean runs to the Bahamas I need to buy a different boat [Fountain or Skater]. If you want a crusier type ski to run straight lines in rough water around the boat ramp, the R is not for you. If you want a highly reliable F1 type ride on smooth water or jumping Ocean Breakers, the R is for you. The R model is like an aerobatic aircraft, not a Boeing 747....
Clear as mud?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts