Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering the purchase of a 2008 ultra 250 ---- I have never owned a pwc but have had friends that have that are always wrenching/ or paying to fix these things, not ultras but kawis. I am in my mid 50's and wont be doing anything too daring ------does anyone have a feel for the reliability and longevity of these ultras ?
how many hours with exceptional maintainence can one expect ?

Also, I live in Wilmington ,NC---on the coast--Comments on salt water issues ?

Thanks
Vince

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own an ultra 250x. Bought it 2 months ago and put 39 hours on it already, most of those hours in salt water. No issues at all. It is the most amazing pwc I have ever ridden. It's really smooth in rough water also. I talked to a mechanic that owns a rather large repair shop in Florida and he hasn't even seen an 07 in his shop yet. Reliability must be exceptional though because mine came with a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spark Plugs

I love my Ultra 250X but is everyone having Spark Plug trouble. Had them replace at 20 hrs. under warranty. Again at 45 hrs. on a recall. Now at 70 hrs. it looks like Ineed them done again. Conclusion here is, Plugs need changing before 25 hrs. They should do more than 50 hrs. (At their price, they should do 200 hrs.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, What do those spark plugs cost

Question ? What do those plugs cost and did you change them your self ? I?f the dealer did it what did they charge ? Why does this boat gobble up plugs ??

Are the 250's equipped with a closed cooling system ??? How long is the standard warrente ??

Thanks Vince

·
Registered
8 Posts
Plugs

Have not paid yet as Kawasaki admitted blame saying plugs were over tightened at assembly that's why the recall, but I think this is false. Have not spoken to dealer yet re latest trouble but I think he said they will retail at AUD$48 per plug. Warranty is 12 months in Australia. Don't know about closed cooling system, but I use in salt water and have to flush it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have not paid yet as Kawasaki admitted blame saying plugs were over tightened at assembly that's why the recall, but I think this is false. Have not spoken to dealer yet re latest trouble but I think he said they will retail at AUD$48 per plug. Warranty is 12 months in Australia. Don't know about closed cooling system, but I use in salt water and have to flush it.
sparkplugs.com is the best place I have found to get plugs.
PMR9B are the stock plugs.....$13.55 each
CR9EK work just fine and half the price....$6.18 each

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Price of Ski ???

Got a price of $9259 on a new 08 ------ ??? N o add on fees, does anyone have a feeling if this deal is ok ?

I plan to pull the ski with a honda element and need a single trailer, any recommendations ? and what should I be paying ? I will be using everything in salt water here in Wilmington NC.

Thaanks
Vince

·
Registered
8 Posts
ultra 250x

I have had mine 18 months. Got first one released in my area of Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia. Red one, so 07, but we are behind down here, so maybe 06 where you are (if they were released then). Are the plugs in yours PMR9B ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ultra 250x spark plug issues mmmmmmm

firstly i bought the 250x as i previously owned the 130 ultra, which was an amazing ski. It was a toss up between the 250 or the yamaha SHO, as the aussie dollar was doing wel and Kawasaki Australia was not passing any of this benefit onto the customer i bought the SHO and the 250 from the states. Rode both ski's and decided the 250x was the one for me, fast, aggressive, good looking, so i sold the SHO, again at considerable discount.
However, Kawasaki boasts the reason they chose green, was to kill the myth of green being an unreliable colour for motor vehicles, WRONG!!!!!!!
I had it pre-delivered by an ex owner of a kawasaki outlet, got 25hrs on the ski and went for the first service, Spark plug number 4 was welded in there and snapped! after $2000 to remove the head and get the offending plug removed.
Apparantly this was an issue with the 2007 model. Obviously Kawsaki Australia did'nt want a bar of it, where as Kawasaki wanted me to ship the ski back to the states to get it fixed, but it had to get there before the warranty ran out, rather than getting an official kawasaki outlet to fix it.
Look! I do love the ski and still have it, but once one thing goes wrong, and cost a few grand to fix, it's never the same, fingers crossed each time you ride, maybe it wasn't the ski but more of the support, Suppose 'them's the risks':dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts