Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 tigershark Montego with a 640 engine. I have removed the exhaust and the exhaust manifold to get at the starter. I have removed the two 10mm bolts holding the starter in place but it won't come out. Am I missing something to get the starter out? The reason I am removing the starter is it turns but does not turn the engine over si I am assuming I need to replace the starter? If you know how to get this out please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
sounds like it may be the starter drive that is not ingaging the engine, that is located in the front of your starter and can be accessed by removing your flywheel cover on the front of the engine, if your starter is spinning fast enough and you rengine is noe engaging the drive is most likley your trouble may just have to be cleaned up a bit they somtimes stick from sitting a while .

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh yeah try spraying alittle penatrating oil around the neck of the starter let sit for a while then try it give a few lite taps an it should let go try not to pry up or down to much on the starter as it dont take much to break the caseing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I did get the starter out and the starter works fine. I cleaned up the gear end of it and put some anti sieze on the end and reinstalled it. When I tried to start it it just spun. I hit the start button about 15 times and then it caught the gear the starter is attachet to and turned the engine over. I guess it was just stuck from sitting for 2 years. It starts just fine now. Do you know if there is suposed to be oil in the gearcase that the starter is connected to? I just got this tigershark and have no manuals for it so I am trying to figure everything out on my own. There is a rubber plug in the case where the starter goes into so I am assuming there should be oil in there? and if so what kind and how do you know if it is enough because I don't see anything in there. I don't want to run it until I make sure everything is ok.

Thanks for all your advise so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts