Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone in my family suggested instead of purchasing the new waverunner I've always wanted when I get back, to rent one for the summer months. Their thinking is that I'll [sic] "always have the latest and greatest"..."instead of having something that turns old in a few years".
I've never heard of this and I don't think they know what they're talking about. I have my doubts about some assumptions they appear to be making. I've never owned a PWC and neither have they.
I invite your comments on this, and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Rental fees are typically $65-95 per hour depending on location. In my area daily rates for a jet ski rental runs $250-300 (higher on weekends). Plus you still have to pay for the gas you use, and leave a security deposit for any damage done to the ski. With these rates you could easily spend $3-4000 or more over a summer renting a ski. For the same money you could buy a nice used Yamaha 4 stroke. Most rentals use Yamaha VX skis because they are pretty bullet proof, and some of the places limit the top speed on the rentals.

My recommendation is to research which ski you would like to buy, then go rent that ski for a couple of hours to see if the ride is what you want, then start shopping for a used ski. You can find nice 3-6 year old 4 stroke Yamaha skis in the $4-7000 range. They hold their resale value well, so if you decide after a summer its not for you, you can sell and basically get your money back = basically a free rental.

My recommendations for skis to look at: 2004-2008 Yamaha VX, FX, or FX HO. These models changed very little over this time period, are very stable rides, are all very reliable, get good gas mileage on regular 87 octane fuel, and hold their resale values well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I get back I plan on getting a new FX Cruiser HO which I will take care of (with great thanks to the help of your posts and others on this forum) until either it or I die. If I have leftover deployment $ I'll get a second one, used, one so I can have two.
Thanks again for your advice.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
It all boils down on how much you plan on riding? If you'll only go out 2 or 3 times a summer you're better off renting. If you ride at least once once a week like me renting would make zero sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts