Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have searched this forum and have found several posts that have talked about their jetski swamping. I rented a 2008 Kawasaki yesterday and took my two sons out on the lakes. After about two hours of riding in some rough water we came to a calm lake and decide to take a dip. After 5-10 minutes we decided to crawl back on - from the back step. The back sunk in a little but didn't seem out of line. After not being able to start it we noticed the jetski was beginning to sink - back end first. We jumped off and tried to start again to no avail then were forced to swim it about 3 blocks to shore. It sounds like the rental place is trying to blame us. We didn't do anything but drive it. When we stopped it tipped us but I don't think the handle bar even touched the water. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how the jetski could have swamped? Since I don't have the jetski I cannot look at it physically so I'm hoping to get some backup from all of you riders that have seen this type of thing. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you tipped it upside down and didn't role the craft back around in the right direction water can get in from the seat and exhaust area. You must then drive it around for a while so the bilge kicks the water out.

Or the drain plugs were not plugged in and sitting in water while not moving will let water in the hull, otherwise known as swamping. If that was the case, the rental place is responsible for keeping the drain plugs screwed in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you tipped it upside down and didn't role the craft back around in the right direction water can get in from the seat and exhaust area. You must then drive it around for a while so the bilge kicks the water out.

Or the drain plugs were not plugged in and sitting in water while not moving will let water in the hull, otherwise known as swamping. If that was the case, the rental place is responsible for keeping the drain plugs screwed in.
Yes, good point!

I rode around for over an hour with the drain plugs open, the jetski didnt sit that long though.....got it back onshore, and only alittle water poured out.

Sounds like its the rental places fault!
dont let them blame you!

Ive tipped my jetskit numerous times in one day, and never had water build up inside at all!
They are designed to be sink proof thru flipping usually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah, I don't know anything about the standups, but I assume you are talking about a 2 or 3 seater sit down jet ski. I have owned 2 kawasaki jet skis that I bought new in 2001 and still have them, they are designed not to sink even when completely swamped and full of water, which I have never done, but I am generous and have let numerous people who knew very little about jet skis borrow mine for a week at a time. Of course they were good friends and responsible, I have seen my little ultra 130 tipped over twice and promptly righted and in 8 years, I have never heard of the problem you are discussing, so like someone mentioned, unless you tipped it over and left it or removed the boat plugs in the stern, I don't see how you are responsible for such damage.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Sounds like the drain plugs were not in or there is an area in the rear of the ski where water is breaching the hull. It won't happen when you are moving because the momentum will keep the water out but as soon as you stop, it gives the hull time to fill up with water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my ultra 130 was missing the hose clamp where you would flush the engine and it filled the compartment about 1/3 of the way with water, battery got wet and wouldnt start. After being towed to shore and taking it out of the lake to drain (no bilge) it dried and then fired right up!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts