Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 550 sx that I had for a long time. I bought it in 2000 rode it for a summer and it has sat since. I have a place to ride it again so I want to rebuild it. Is there a way to crank the motor without the starter? I have a battey and the starter seems to work but the pistons are not moving. I hit the starter for a second but don't want to ruin the motor if it is locked up. I have removed the head and the cylinder walls seem fine. I have sprayed carb cleaner into the cylinders and it seeps though. I do not have a manual yet is there any oil I have to add to the crank?

Is there any tips on trying to start an old unused motor?

Any tips anyone haswould be appreicated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same sounding problem with one of my '89 550's, it turned out to be the locking washer for the flywheel nut. I know your engine is different but the flywheel area should be damn near the same still and i have heard of this problem for a long range of year's. Pull the flywheel cover off (where your starter bolts up to) and your flywheel will be right there. In many occasions the flywheel lock washer tab breaks and the nut backs off and jams itself into the case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts