Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, would it be better to buy an older model and upgrade it with riva, or get a new model and keep it stock?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Riva is very well respected. What older model are you referring to? There is a guy on greenhulk.net with a modded 04 RXP 215 that smokes the newer RXP-Xs all day. His really runs 80 mph. Don't think he is running a Riva kit though.

The 2000-2008 Yamaha GP1200/1300r can be made to really haul ass. They are fast stock let alone modded.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Riva is very well respected. What older model are you referring to? There is a guy on greenhulk.net with a modded 04 RXP 215 that smokes the newer RXP-Xs all day. His really runs 80 mph. Don't think he is running a Riva kit though.

The 2000-2008 Yamaha GP1200/1300r can be made to really haul ass. They are fast stock let alone modded.
Is his name MIKE ? If it is he is a friend of mine. He runs a rude supercharger. His ski does 80 mph just a little bit faster than my RIVA STAGE III in my RXT 75-77 mph. He is the only ski that ever beats me.

If you really want to make a Yamaha GPR 1300 run fast, remove the engine and drop in a 255 hp Seadoo 1500, they are hitting speeds in the 90's. Then you have a real YAMADOO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rxp-x is so expensive, and the riva stage 1 is 1000 more. the fzr and the riva stage 1 are cheaper than the rxp-x itself. would it be better to get an fzr with riva stage 1, or a stock rxp-x? and with riva do you have to install it yourself?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Assuming you are talking about a 2010 RXT-X, there is no RIVA kit available for it yet. So I would jump on the FZR and add the RIVA STAGE I. That shouldn't void your warranty. Yes you have to either pay someone to install it or do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Is his name MIKE ? If it is he is a friend of mine. He runs a rude supercharger. His ski does 80 mph just a little bit faster than my RIVA STAGE III in my RXT 75-77 mph. He is the only ski that ever beats me.

If you really want to make a Yamaha GPR 1300 run fast, remove the engine and drop in a 255 hp Seadoo 1500, they are hitting speeds in the 90's. Then you have a real YAMADOO
I don't know his name. I saw a vid of him riding the RXP through what looked like an intercoastal. I am pretty sure he is from South Florida.

the rxp-x is so expensive, and the riva stage 1 is 1000 more. the fzr and the riva stage 1 are cheaper than the rxp-x itself. would it be better to get an fzr with riva stage 1, or a stock rxp-x? and with riva do you have to install it yourself?
Why don't you buy a regular RXP 215 and put a Riva Stage 3 on?

RIVA RXP Stage III Kit

Sure it's $6 grand but if you were to buy a used 215 you'd still be ahead than with a new RXP-X or FZR. Plus you'll be at 80 mph + you'll smoke Xs and FZRs all day. Or get a good deal on a left over 08 or 08 model if you want a new boat. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm from Texas, and new to pwcs I have to ride in the crap water on the gulf of Mexico. Plus its really choppy 24/7 . I have to take it to a river to ride. There is never anyone to race anywhere. I just want something fast. So thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm from Texas, and new to pwcs I have to ride in the crap water on the gulf of Mexico. Plus its really choppy 24/7 . I have to take it to a river to ride. There is never anyone to race anywhere. I just want something fast. So thanks for all the info.
I ride a lot in rivers, intercoastal and try to stay away from rough water. Usually ride San Jacinto river, Taylor's Bayou, San Bernard River, Oyster Bayou, Colorado River... there is a group of 20 skis that I go with 6 months of the year. If you are still looking for people to ride with, let me know. We all like to go fast. :D

·
Registered
811 Posts

You are right Yamadoo. That ski your are talking about is my friends his name is Mike He and I ride together alot. His ski is not a straight RIVA kit but a combination of different parts. Like a RUDE supercharger, huge blow off valve custom prop, huge fuel rail and pump with guage, monster cold air intake and bosch 50lb injectors, very heavy duty valve springs and so on. Which he built himself. Last time we were running GPS runs he hit 84,2 mph. And I thought my ski was fast.... But he is my friend that helps me and we will get the RXT to run 80- plus this summer right now I am running 75-76 mph. :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If you are riding in rough water (open ocean), you may find that much of your money spent on mods to gain speed are wasted. The top ocean racing skis may be capable of speeds over 80 mph, but they rarely can average much more than 50 mph in the rough stuff......any faster and a rider can't stay on the ski.

The guys with the 80+ mph skis usually do their thing in calm water (rivers and lakes). If you want to go fast in the ocean, look more for hull stability and a big heavy ski.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you are riding in rough water (open ocean), you may find that much of your money spent on mods to gain speed are wasted. The top ocean racing skis may be capable of speeds over 80 mph, but they rarely can average much more than 50 mph in the rough stuff......any faster and a rider can't stay on the ski.

The guys with the 80+ mph skis usually do their thing in calm water (rivers and lakes). If you want to go fast in the ocean, look more for hull stability and a big heavy ski.
+1 Ernest is right about high speeds in rough water, at my age I wouldn't last long in 2 or 3 footers going balls out, plus you lose contact with the water adversely affecting performance do to sucking air in the intake grid. we do our thing on glass or small chop. When in rough water my ski is like any other ski.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts