Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I've got a 2-parter question in the paragraph below! First time poster here--and first time owner of a PWC, though I wish the circumstances were better. I took possession of a '96 Seadoo GTS (seized crankshaft due to seawater in the engine), and am in the process of swapping in a working 587 engine. Following the shop manuals, I'm nearly ready to take the unit over to my local pwc shop for final checks.

Question #1: How important is it that the rotary valve be perfectly timed to the unit? The replacement 587 didn't come with the rotary valve/cover, so I've swapped in the parts from the original (while matching the depth of the pistons, magneto flywheel position, and original rotary valve tooth alignment)--and I'm quite certain I've got it right. Is the timing specific to the unit itself--meaning I'll need a separate trip to the pwc shop for timing before putting it in the hull?

Question #2: Am I correct in assuming that a simple layer of oil placed between the crankcase/rotary_valve and rotary_valve/rotary_cover will be sufficient preparation of that section before I seal it up? Leaving it bare doesn't seem like a good idea...

I'd appreciate any constructive comments--I'm hoping to avoid having this become an unmitigated disaster. If this doesn't end well, it will likely cut short my foray into the world of PWCs!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts