Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Also a newb so appreciate any help.

Bought a used 06 xts 12f with 150ish hours. First several times on the lakes/rivers no problem. Took it on the lake today and it sped up to 40 before instantly cutting to 20-25...sometimes dropping to around 10, rarely getting to 30. If i stopped it would die almost instantly. After letting it sit, drove it to the boat launch to pull it and it died, took 4-5 attempts to finally go 50 yards.

Prior seller allegedly changed, plugs, battery, and rebuilt the pump.

Any thoughts as to what i should be checking? Have spent my whole life working on beater cars but new to skis. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,057 Posts
Hmmmm. Pull the plugs and verify spark, make sure there's nothing stuck in the impeller. might even pull the pump and check out the bearings. Can you fell the fuel pum come on if you lay your hand on it and crank it over ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Did pull the plugs. Sooty black which seems to mean running rich?

I checked the pump and when i turn it on it sounds normal. Couldn't pull it out completely without disconnecting the lines. (Ran outta daylight)

Did read on another post somewhere that an owner could only get 6k rpms out of there's...which mine was initially only pulling before this issue. Claimed they replaced the filter and it fixed it. Is the filter tucked away in the pump somewhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah my next goal is to take apart the box and ensure its clean. According to the manual there is a fuel screen but manual doesnt give cleaning instructions. Only tells you to take it in to the dealership to ger it cleaned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thinking this sounds familiar. You didn’t happen to add oil when the engine was cold did you? I did that right after my first service which caused a similar reaction. I drained some oil, replaced the plugs and rechecked oil level after the engine was warm. Fixed. Always check oil when the engine is warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts