Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had my 2007 Yamaha FX HO units summarized at the dealer, had the plugs changed and oil, etc. They also tested them and I heard them running while at the shop. I also had them install two new batteries, one in each.

So today, I went out for my first drive of the year, put them in water and they started right up, pulled them over to the shore, and gently pulled them onto the sand just enough to keep them from floating away.

Parked the truck and trailer and my brother and I set out, I was not much over idle speed in the channel since it's a no wake area, then once I got out into the open area of the lake I gave mine about 30% gas and it hardly picked up speed, so I thought maybe a small amount more throttle, however the RPM's went from like 2500 to 2800 or so but just would not climb.

It seams like something is preventing it from going, so I checked to make sure that the impeller was clear and there was no weeds or debris in the intake.

It started up and then I drove about 200 more feet at like just faster then trolling speed, then it started to really chug, then it died. I tried to restart after a min or so and it cranked for about a second or two more, then took off, but won't stay idling, it is smoking some now and unless you give it some gas it just stalls and won't go, it has no power and so we towed it back to the trailer.

I called the dealer and they said it was likely oil in the air filter, so I took it apart and the air filter is clean, no oil or debris. I have included picture, drove home like an hour or so and let things cool down.

After dinner, went out and the machine started right up, let run for a 3-5 sec and then killed it, it sounds just like the other one that runs great.

I'm not an expert and need some help.

Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I suspect that the dealer either:
1. Overfilled the oil.......very common, because many of the techs are new young guys that are familiar with the newer wet sump Yamaha systems, but not the dry sump system on the pre-2009 FX HOs
2. Installed a faulty spark plug or plugs. The small plugs on these skis foul very easily (especially if the oil has been overfilled).

First check the oil with the ski cold. On your engine oil should barely show on the dip stick with the engine cold.....or not show at all. If the oil level is over 1/2 full I'd drain at least 1/2 a quart.

Second I'd change the spark plugs.......don't over torque them (9 ft lbs).

Third run the ski on the hose for at least 15 minutes then chech the oil level within a couple of minutes after you shut it off.......it's got to be hot to get an accurate reading. Adjust the oil level to the 1/2 way point on the stick. Be sure the ski is level.

Forth ride the ski for 20 minutes, get off in a shallow area and check the oil level. This will be your most accurate reading, since you can't get the ski to operating temp on the hose. Adjust the level as needed to get to the 1/2 point on the stick. If the still runs poorly, remove the air filter and try riding it (you want hurt anything). Sometimes it's hard to tell visually that the filter is fouled.

Fifth never run the engine in less than 2 feet of water. Pulling on to a beach, you should kill the engine in at least 2 feet of water and coast the rest of the way in. Don't restart the ski until you have pushed it off shore. Otherwise, you will invest sand and debris in the system.

Sixth learn to maintain the ski yourself, or find an independent PWC mechanic that knows what they are doing........there are countless stories of dealers screwing up these skis.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Other thing I forgot to mention is that you need to carefully inspect the impeller from both the intake grate side and the exit nozzle side. Even a small piece of debris will prevent the engine from running correctly. A couple of years ago my ski suddenly would not rev, and I could only go 10 mph or less. When I got it out of the water I found a small weed the diameter of a pencil lead and about 6 inches long in the pump. I couldn't believe that anything that small could have an effect, but the ski ran fine once I removed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Ernest T,

Thank You so much for your suggestions, I checked those items and the spark plugs are new and they look clean. It would not run enough to put in the water and bring to temp.

I do trust my local dealership, there about 2-3 of them and the one I use is really good and I think they want to help. The other's I can't say so much.

I wish I could find someone local that could do the work for less, but I have search and just can't seam to find anyone.

So I was getting kinda frustrated with this thing and could not figure it out, it was getting air thru the clean air filter and it was getting fuel and it was getting fuel because I had a full tank of new fuel.

So I took them to the dealership and told them that i needed help, as I wanted to get on the water "today"

They checked all the stuff that you suggested again, I told them that I had already checked it out. They said they wanted to double check, so I went to get some brunch and came back in like an hour, they said they think they had found the problem, it was an exhaust hose that was not tight. He said that it would cause the same symptoms because the exhaust gas would starve it for air and keep it from getting above the RPMs.

We took him and did a lake test, the machine worked well. I would say back to 100%, my question is, does this sound right? He charged me 65.00 for two hours of service and tear down. He also towed them to the lake with his gas and time, so that was included at no additional charge.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought two SeaDoo's an 02 GTX-DI and a 01 GTX. I am having trouble with the 01. out of the water it runs great Revs up fine, but when its in the water it just sputters and will only do idle speed. sound like it wants to go but just doesn't accelerate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought two SeaDoo's an 02 GTX-DI and a 01 GTX. I am having trouble with the 01. out of the water it runs great Revs up fine, but when its in the water it just sputters and will only do idle speed. sound like it wants to go but just doesn't accelerate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue with a 91 Waverunner. Did you ever find out what was causing it? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts