Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I bought a 95 SL650 as a first/starter over the winter. I did a complete tune-up, had the top end of the motor rebuilt, along with the carbs and replaced the fuel & battery.

It runs strong and the engine sounds very clean for it's age (compression at 124 on all cylinders) but when I put it in the water for the first time, it barely moved.

It seemed the harder I pushed it, the less I got back. I'd say top speed was (maybe) 10 MPH. A complete joke. It even stalled a few times but I think that's a low idle issue.

When I got it out of the water to look at it, I noticed the nozzle pump was almost completely unbolted (hanging by the thread of the last bolt). I'm assuming the previous owner removed 3 of the 4 bolts at one time to clean the impeller shaft.

I won't have a chance to get it back in the water for two weeks and I'm wondering if anyone call tell me if that would have caused it to barely move? It sounds like common sense to me considering that's what keeps the water jetting out behind you (mine was just firing water off like mad in every direction), but looking for a little comfort in the mean time that I don't have (or very well may have) a bigger underlying problem.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I would say this statement of your is the reason why

"When I got it out of the water to look at it, I noticed the nozzle pump was almost completely unbolted (hanging by the thread of the last bolt). I'm assuming the previous owner removed 3 of the 4 bolts at one time to clean the impeller shaft."

Fix that then see how it runs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thank you. Like I said, I'm pretty sure that would cause such a drastic loss of performance, but it's reassuring to hear it from someone who knows more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts