Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so Im a noob to the pwc world. This will be mi first. Cant decide between buying a new rxt x 260 or a used 08 rxt x 255. Im looki g for reliability wich is why i dont want anything modified since ive heard horror stories about abused pwc's.

Also dont know about this mods that they do with the wellring or changing the valves and retainers to riva. Is that stuff safe? Does it void warranty, how many hour is reasonable for a used pwc ? Sorry for all the questions but i really wanna get it right the first time.

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
:00000048:
Hey guys so Im a noob to the pwc world. This will be mi first. Cant decide between buying a new rxt x 260 or a used 08 rxt x 255. Im looki g for reliability wich is why i dont want anything modified since ive heard horror stories about abused pwc's.

Also dont know about this mods that they do with the wellring or changing the valves and retainers to riva. Is that stuff safe? Does it void warranty, how many hour is reasonable for a used pwc ? Sorry for all the questions but i really wanna get it right the first time.

Thanks
OK, so you want to know more about the 2010 RXTX260 vs the 2008 RXTX 255.

First the 260. It is a great ski, but there are no mods from RIVA for this ski yet. Reason is the GPS controlled speed limiter. Any performance increases are muted by the speed limiter. Getting past that it is the fastest stock three seater on the market due to the S-3 stepped hull 67-69 mph, it has the IBR controls and brakes.

Now the 2008 RXTX255. It has the same motor except for the ECU is tweaked on the 260. They do make a RIVA STAGE I kit for $1,200 although it doesn't modify an engine internals. It does give you 6 mph for a top speed of 73 mph. If you want to see a kit with engine upgrades it is my 2006 RXT 215 with a RIVA STAGE III kit $6,000, titanium valve train, racing ECU, bigger injectors, blow off valve, racing thermostat, bigger intercooler, thru hull exhaust and so on. Gives you 295 hp @ 8350 rpms. Top speed 75-77 mph !!!

Hour meters are just a record of time not events. So you can't just assume a ski is in great shape just because it has low hours. Now it is better to have a ski with low hours if there hasn't been any newb mistakes while it was prev. owned i.e. run with low oil, sucked sand in the pump, ran it dry on the trailer too long or flooded the crankcase while flushing it on the trailer. So IMO the best thing is a seatrial and visual inspection.

Both skis have stainless thrust washers in the supercharger and ceramic wear rings.

I own both the new hull 2009 RXT-IS 255, and the old hull 2008 GTX 215, 2006 RXT RIVA STAGE III. There are differences between the two. The new S-3 hull is faster and handles chop better due to a 22 degree deadrise V hull and the step.

I hope this is what you where looking for.

Catch Ya on the Flipside.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks this helps ! Let me ask you about flooding the crank while flushing how does that happen exactly? I wanna look out for stuff like that when i have mine so i dont f things up. What things should i be careful about the boat? Btw wich one would you choose between the two?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks this helps ! Let me ask you about flooding the crank while flushing how does that happen exactly? I wanna look out for stuff like that when i have mine so i dont f things up. What things should i be careful about the boat? Btw wich one would you choose between the two?
Ok, you flood your crankcase by having water going through it when the motor is off, also know as Hydro locked. So, if you flush out on the trailer it's motor on then water, when done water off then motor.

There is way to much to list about what to do and not do.

You didn't say how much and how many hours are on the used ski. So not knowing that and assuming it is within reason, I would choose the 255 2008 RXTX. Simply because you can pick that and the Riva stage I kit for less money and have a faster ski. With the new ones it is Jet ski roulette, you either get a good one or a bad one. The motors are great its the other stuff that can happen with a new model year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one i was interested had about 80hrs. Wow im really learning i thought you flush like a standard outboard were you connect the hose and then start! This is eyeopening, is there a link that you guys recommend the basics about pwc's ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 1100 STX and did not think twice about running the water without the engine running. The manual states to start the engine then turn on the water, DO NOT run the engine for more than 10 seconds without water, when cleaning out after ridding shut the water off first then run the engine for about 10 seconds to clear out all the water. I am glad I did not ruin anything before I found out about it, It would have been an expensive lesson
joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have the money to spend and don't want to modify (as you first posted), I'd opt for the 2010 RXT X. I'm sure there are some around that are being discounted.

A combination of an excellent new hull (S3) which provides a better and drier ride plus exceptional handling, electronic controls, and improved performance over the earlier models make this a great ski. I bought one at the start of June and love it compared to my 2003 GTX SC model (the same hull on the used model you are considering).

there is a price to pay for the 2010 RXT X, but if you keep a ski long term like I do, the smile on your face will long outlast the grimace when you write the cheque for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts