Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used an SBT Engine? Are they any good? Worth the Money? I'm thinking of replacing my engine in 1997 GP 1200.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Has anyone ever used an SBT Engine? Are they any good? Worth the Money? I'm thinking of replacing my engine in 1997 GP 1200.
Definitely, DO NOT USE sbt! They are very poorly built. Missing and or wrong internal parts. Have heard nothing but horror stories over the years. I use there parts and gaskets due to cost but would never use a motor.

Where are you located?
There is pwcengines in NJ. depending on location, may have some local to you I may know of.
Pwc is cost wise about the same as sbt but I've heard good things of them.
What's wrong with your 1200?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in SoCal. The number 3 piston seized probably due to low oil intake. The sleeve probably needs to be replaced and I was told I should change the crankshaft. Number 1 and 2 are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm in SoCal. The number 3 piston seized probably due to low oil intake. The sleeve probably needs to be replaced and I was told I should change the crankshaft. Number 1 and 2 are perfectly fine.
Ok, cool, don't know of any in soCal. I'm know of a few on east coast. I'll do some asking around for you and post what I get.
Where at in SoCal?
Are you still out injected?
Do you have oil in you bildge?

Depending on how bad it may not need a crank.
If you have tool and mechanicly inclined 2strokes are easy build.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was still connected to the carb when I opened it up. I suspect it was clogged or something. So are you recommending a rebuild instead of a new engine? The sleeve also has a chip at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It was still connected to the carb when I opened it up. I suspect it was clogged or something. So are you recommending a rebuild instead of a new engine? The sleeve also has a chip at the bottom.
I

Yes, it can be rebuilt. So long as there are no open holes from a broken rod. If you just wiped a cyl a rebuild is what I'd do. The crank will need to be checked after a good clean up to be sure it's still in specs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I

Yes, it can be rebuilt. So long as there are no open holes from a broken rod. If you just wiped a cyl a rebuild is what I'd do. The crank will need to be checked after a good clean up to be sure it's still in specs.
Thanks, that sounds like a better route to go since I can keep the original yamaha parts. Should I rebuild entire engine, new pistons, rings and bore out the cylinders? Also the sleeve in #3 has a chip at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I

Thanks, that sounds like a better route to go since I can keep the original yamaha parts. Should I rebuild entire engine, new pistons, rings and bore out the cylinders? Also the sleeve in #3 has a chip at the bottom.
Best bet is to use an SWM top end kit. They send the entire top end, cyl's, pistons, gaskets. Then you send back your old in the box it came in. All you need do is clean up motor and assemble.
The only extra you may need is the wrist pin brgs for the pistons. Some come with kit some don't.

Once you get your crank cleaned up and check specs then you can determine if it needs replacing. I think swm also sells them if not pwcengines does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best bet is to use an SWM top end kit. They send the entire top end, cyl's, pistons, gaskets. Then you send back your old in the box it came in. All you need do is clean up motor and assemble.
The only extra you may need is the wrist pin brgs for the pistons. Some come with kit some don't.

Once you get your crank cleaned up and check specs then you can determine if it needs replacing. I think swm also sells them if not pwcengines does.
Do the sleeves need to be bored out? There is damage in #3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used SBT for a Kawasaki Zxi1100 engine as have some of my lake neighbors and all were fine. Mine has been in going on a 3rd summer now, no issues at all. I sent back my seized motor and got the full credit they had promised. Comes standard with a 1 yr warranty, I think I paid a hundred or 2 extra for an extra year. Fired right up last weekend after the winter lay up.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I used SBT for a Kawasaki Zxi1100 engine as have some of my lake neighbors and all were fine. Mine has been in going on a 3rd summer now, no issues at all. I sent back my seized motor and got the full credit they had promised. Comes standard with a 1 yr warranty, I think I paid a hundred or 2 extra for an extra year. Fired right up last weekend after the winter lay up.
Yup, it's about a 50/50 shot of getting a decent one. I don't like those odds when I'm spending thousands $$. I've seen several with missing crank/rod spacers and the list goes on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts