Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Newbie here.

I did something very stupid yesterday that I need to know if it will cause any serious problems to my pwc. After filling up with gas and oil (mixed, 2 cycle), I drove off without putting the fuel cap back on. Needless to say, a fair amount of salt water got in to the tank (mainly when I came to a stop in some choppy water to try and put the cap back on, some waves came over the bow and in to the open tank).

I drove the ski for the rest of the day and it seemed to run OK. Burnt off all 7 gallons of the gas/oil that I had put in to it in the beginning. However, should I still be worried that the salt water is going to cause problems the next time I try to start it or are these machines built to handle these kinds of problems?

Cheers for any help/advice/info.

Jordan

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I doubt you got too much water in the tank, or you would have noticed a significant performance difference or the engine would not have run at all.

You might want to add some ISO-HEET fuel additive or similar product to your next tank to eliminate all remaining water. It is supposed to also clean carbs., etc. I'm pretty sure that the ISO version is OK for 2 stroke engines, but you should check the label to be sure.

I think running the engine is the best medicine at this point to eliminate any salt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts