Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have owned my 2011 RXT 260 IS for a little over a year and a half and have had problem after problem since the engine compartment filled with water because of a broken carbon seal. Right before New Years in 2011, my brother was towing the ski with his truck and going around a corner at 5mph, the winch failed and the ski slid off the trailer. We took it to the dealer and they had to replace the ride plate and a few bolts down there, but other than that it was fine from what they said. They also brought a fiberglass guy in to repair a scuff on the bottom. They put it in the pond behind their building to test it for 5 minutes and said everything was running great. 2 days after I got it back, I took it out for a test in the river only to be awakened by a sinking ski 10 miles away from my dock. They had over-looked the carbon seal and it filled the engine compartment with saltwater. I got it to a boat ramp along the river right as the engine cut off and it was about to tip over. I called a friend to get my trailer and come pick me up. Immediately we took it to the dealer and they flushed it the next day I think. They changed the oil, spark plugs, and carbon seal and gave it back to us. Now the ski was only maxing out at 7600 rpm's at 64 mph whereas before it was maxing out at 8040 rpm's at 69 mph. We took it back and they said it was fine and ran it against another RXT 260 and said they ran equal and checked the intercooler. They happily charged me almost $300. Now all of the sudden, its maxing out at 40mph with the rpm's fluctuating going up and down for some reason. I think this is my last straw and im going back to this dealer to raise HELL. I have read online and everyone else says their RXT 260's are really reliable and have no issues. Why do I have so many problems? Are they never the same after the engine compartment fills with water? Im thinking about selling this thing and getting a new one or just never getting a ski again. All of this has happened in about 50 hours with 71 hours total on the ski. Are the Seadoo's even reliable or are the Yamaha's worlds better in the reliability department? I love my Yamaha outboards on my boat, but I hate pretty much every characteristic of the Yamaha's. They feel cheaper, the footwells are not deep enough (im 6'5"), and I hate the way they handle. I love almost everything about the Seadoo, but are they always this unreliable or was mine doomed since it almost sank?

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's very sucks, if you had no luck with the Sea Doo, you should go with the Yamaha, I have seen lots of 500-600 hours Yamaha skis still moving very nice and fast in our lake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you elaborate on the process flushed the motor? Do you have any info/check the receipt how much labor did they charge? Do you know if saltwater got into the motor? I don’t know much about Jetski BUT I did swamp my new 2020 STX160 with 4 hours in saltwater. Called a few dealer and all said the same thing, they are all backed up for 2 weeks. However, 1 dealer was kind enough to walk me through the process of flushing ( using oil extractor) the motor which took me 2 days and 7 oil changes later to get her back to purring like new. Recommended removing the airbox and air dry as it may still have water inside while I was changing and running the skis between oil changes. Also new oil filter, new spark plugs, Wash motor with Saltaway, protect with Fluid Film AND lots of lithium grease on the connectors. I only ran skis for another 6 hours after that before winterizing for the season. Only time will tell.

If water did get into your motor, I doubt 1 or 2 oil changes would get it all out considering how many it took mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts