Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would you choose and why?

I am looking for the fastest ride, but also like nice features, but want reliability for years to come.

SeaDoo - 255 HP (carb'ed)
Kawasaki - 250 HP
Yamaha - 211 HP (EFI)

Boat Test (on youtube) did a comparison between all of them (Ultra 250 vs. FX SHO vs. RXP (not X) and picked the Yamaha and it beat them in the races as well. :dunno:

I believe the RXP-X is the fastest, but carb'ed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depemds

I would avoid the Sea-Doo, which then begs the question of whether you want a Supercharger (and the 250hp) or not.

Personally, I think either would be good. I have big faith in yamaha small engines, having riden a Yamaha motorcycle for years before I quit riding 2 wheelers. I also REALLY like the way the Kawasaki's handle, but I suspect the Yamaha is pretty similar. I keep hearing that the Kawi's handle more like a muscle car and the Yamahas handle more like sedans, but that is pretty anecdotal.

In reality, I suspect you are not going to spend as much time at max performance as you think. Sure, you will go fast, and accelerate hard, but if you want your boat to last you will stay inside the performance envelope instead of at the edge of it. That said, EITHER boat will be fast as snot, either will handle pretty well, and provide hours of fun. Either will be among the fastest vessels on any body of water on any day, and either are capable of towing a skier, wakeboarder, or tube.

If you can, find a demo day, and ride them side by side, it really is the only way to find for yourself if the riding positions are drastically different.

shooter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I COMPLETELY AGREE with Depemds comments. I have a 2007 SeaDoo RXT 215 HP (3 seater).

It has 50 hours and is already in the shop (again and this only second season) as it left me stranded and not starting. Probably an inexpensive and poor quality selenoïd switch like what plagues their Bombardier snowmobiles.

My neighbor has an 2009 Yamaha SHO 3 seater. The PLUS - power plant, likely more reliable, waaaaaaaay more smooth on the ears and hands as felt in my 215 Bombardier. The MINUS - the hull seems to slam the waves hard no matter the speed, chop or adjustments to trim. My SeaDoo hull is so much more relaxing and smooth.

I helped my neighbour make his Yamaha choice. The Yamaha has 4 cylinders running a supercharger instead of three. The Yam will run on regular and I think it has a lower compression ratio. You want a power plant that makes lots of power without being overly stressed - that's the Yamaha choice. Now it's time to review MY choice in water crafts :(

If you want reliability - dump the SeaDoo idea and get Yamaha or other... Mine is for sale if you are interested - 50 hours on it - LOL

Steph

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is also Honda which is around 200 HP but a great machine. Sea-doo doesn't have any carbureted models. All the 4-tecs are fuel injected. What is good about Sea-Doo is the aftermarket is full of performance mods. If you want a reliable machine either yamaha or honda are you choices.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is also Honda which is around 200 HP but a great machine. Sea-doo doesn't have any carbureted models. All the 4-tecs are fuel injected. What is good about Sea-Doo is the aftermarket is full of performance mods. If you want a reliable machine either yamaha or honda are you choices.
X2:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts