Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would the engine lock up with the spark plug in?
I take one or both out and the engine cranks no problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rusty cylinder walls. Put some type of rust buster solvent in the cylinders and crank it over without the plugs in. It should free up and run again, it might take a few tries. Be careful when cranking it over, the solvent may come out of the spark plug holes at a rapid rate. I had a car with this problem many years ago. I had to crank it over and add one plug at a time until it ran on all 6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW .... IT worked.
I used some rust blaster in each cylinder .... cranked the engine with plugs out.
Sprayed some starter fluid in both cylinders ... put one in and the other sitting on the hole.
Started right up but did not have the exhaust pipe hooked up yet and ended up both the ski and I were covered with oil/water/other fluids from the engine.
Put both plugs in and the exhause pipe on and cranked a little hard but started and runs great now. THANK YOU !!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW .... IT worked.
I used some rust blaster in each cylinder .... cranked the engine with plugs out.
Sprayed some starter fluid in both cylinders ... put one in and the other sitting on the hole.
Started right up but did not have the exhaust pipe hooked up yet and ended up both the ski and I were covered with oil/water/other fluids from the engine.
Put both plugs in and the exhause pipe on and cranked a little hard but started and runs great now. THANK YOU !!!
ROTFL I told ya to watch out for the spray, glad I could help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK ... UPDATE, Got it out on the water even though the temp here is now in the 60's. Started up fine and ran little circles near shore. Opened it up a bit in the middle of the river and it stalled. This has happened a few times since and I suspect it might be the carb needs cleaning or the gray fuel lines are getting clogged up restricting fuel?
Seem to rev fine even at the dock but open it up on the water and it stalls out.
Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latest Update:
I went to Sears and picked up a compression meter now that I have borrowed my neighboor's three times. I discovered #2 has little to no pressure so I'm now looking at rebuilding the top end once I get the engine out.
I hope to be able to replace only the rings and not the cylinder.
Any suggestions I should consider in this project?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts