Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Season Start

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  YamaDoo 
#1 ·
New to jetskiing...

I have on occasion taken a canoe out in cold weather. Weather has to be still, stay close to shore, layers of clothes with waterproof on the outside, PFD's of course and it is a good day.

Can I do the same with a ski? I know Jetskibrian heads out in a survival suit on in some rather brisk temps. What about others. How much protection does a 3mm wetsuit provide?

The ski I am zeroing in on is a Yamaha SUV. According to owners it is a relatively dry ride, and very difficult to tip. I would be using it for cruising.

I am trying to figure out what the length of season would be for someone like me. I know some pretty cool island camp sites that open in May.

#2 ·
For me the season ends when the water temp falls below 65 degrees. That is as cold as I can take it in a 3 mm farmer's john suit with jacket. Where I ride that usually means the air temp is much lower, and keeping my face and hands warm from the wind is actually the hardest part. I've got a friend (much younger) who rides all winter, but I think she has a dry suit. But I'm an old guy...........getting harder to stay warm. ;)

#6 ·
Yes that is inland lakes. I don't usually hit Lake Michigan until early May. I went out once in mid April on Lake Michigan and the water was too too cold to be an enjoyable time. Made sure I didn't fall in. By late May it's ok though. Actually I don't wear any kind of suit. Just shorts and life vest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.