Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok fellas, give me some ideas on how to secure my F-12X to a dock without beating the heck out of it. I'm sure many of you secure yours and I'm just curious as to what does and doesn't work. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tie it from the front and back (the bar behind the seat) to the dock, and I have a couple of small rubber "bumpers" tied to the side for it to bang against. No problems so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinks for the info! I guess my biggest concern is the "bumper". How do you tie them so they stay between the ski and the dock or do you use suction cups?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thinks for the info! I guess my biggest concern is the "bumper". How do you tie them so they stay between the ski and the dock or do you use suction cups?
I've got a set of these: Amazon.com: Kwik Tek SB-4 PWC Fenders 2 Pack (Black): Sports & Outdoors They work well if you are going to leave the ski for a while at the dock. I mount them at a slight angle to get more coverage. Only thing I don't like is that the bottom suction cup works too well, and can be a beeatch to get off when you pull away from the dock, because it ends up under the water line and is hard to reach..........it is considered bad form to fall off the ski while trying to remove your fenders.

Other problem is that with many docks are too high for skis, and then bumpers are worthless. You end up banging your mirrors, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
docking

I prefer to throw out my mushroom anchor away from the dock and tie off to the dock. I have a section of bungie cord along the anchor line so after I stretch the bungie and get onto the dock, the ski goes backing away then I tie off to dock. No contact with dock and is very fast. I just make sure the ski will be sitting where it wont interfere with others.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If the dock is straight with no angles, there is little chance your 'ski will not take a beating if there is boat traffic going by.
Even the best fender will get pushed up on top of the deck of a small bobbing hull and then the hull is at the mercy of the dockboards/barnacles.

If there is any part of the dock [or to the shore] that you can tie up to also, this will solve the problem.

I use the stretchable docking lines at the bow and stern to my boat/'ski and tie off at the angle which keeps the hull suspended away from the dock.

When I want to reboard or as the tide changes the stretch in the stretchable lines keeps the lines taunt also allowing you to pull the hull over next to the dock to board it.

I made some PVC pipe whips with tennis balls/eyelets on the ends to hold my boat away from the straight docks at some downtown restaurants, but I had a hard time with the big waves/tide/current pushing the boat forwards/backwards, so I just gave up on eating there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts