Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a set of 2 rods that were almost like fishing pole type fiber glass rods, that just had styrofoam ends on them, when I sold my single trailer I left the 2 little metal parts that held the poles to my old trailer.
I still have the rods though, I might be able to drill some hols in the trailer and just stick them in there, but I am still curious to what other people use to solve this issue.
I have seen people put big PVC pipe on there but I really just need to be able to stick them on there when I am in reverse, smaller and thinner is better, if someone knows where I can buy a set like I had on my old ski please post them, I buddy gave me my old set.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Just remember turn the WHEEL to where the trailer is drifting. (remember steer towards the trouble) Take your time and pull up if you need to. I tow with a full size van with no windows in back and have no issues.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I feel your pain man. I have same problem. When ski is not on the trailer you cannot see any part of the trailer...........impossible to back something you cannot see no matter how careful you are. If you wait until you see one end of the trailer in a mirror, it is already misaligned and hard to correct for. At my ramp, the red necks with their $75,000 bass boats start yelling if you don't get on and off the ramp in a couple of minutes.

What I did was to drill a hole in the top center of the cross brace on the rear of the trailer. I stick a 1/2" pvc pipe in there that is about 3' long. I put a smaller piece of pipe in the end to go through the hole in the trailer, so it stops the pipe from falling through and keeps is straight up. It sticks up enough for me to see it when backing. The pipe is light weight, waterproof, and I just bungee cord it to the trailer when not in use.

Another option is these things. I saw them in Harbor Freight the last time I was in there: Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit That would work to stick on the back of the trailer someplace for backing if you have a steel trailer. Wouldn't work for me, since my trailer is aluminum.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ernest, yea I saw those magnetic kits at Bass Pro Shop here in Charlotte NC, and my trailer is aluminum also, so dont help me much. I would just drill tiny holes, but cant help but wonder how much water will get in there and never get out unless I drill other holes on the bottom. I actually have a rear veiw camera on my Ford Expedition but I have a hard time stearing by it for some reason :( The rods I had worked fine, but when I forgot them a couple times, and I cant not see the trailer at all behind my car, I am screwed, if I can see the rods sticking up, I can backup just fine, no problems at all when I can see trailer, but with no rods I can not see anything until its too late and its a real mess.
And during prime season people get pissy when you take awhile to back it up, I have had to get out of my car and keep straighting the trailer by hand, since its light enough to just pick up when no skis on it, but its embarasing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should make some telescoping design that you can mount on back of trailer and just pull them up when you need them and push them down when you dont.
I am just surprised there are not more options out there to purchase, since I would asume lots of people have this issue.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
On my trailer (Triton), there was already a hole in the center bottom of the rear cross brace. I'm guessing it was there to allow water drainage from the cross piece. I just took a drill and went through that hole and made another hole in the top of the brace, being careful to keep it vertical.

I looked around for other options before I found this simple solution. There are clamps that you can mount to the rear corners of the trailer that hold up plastic or steel pipes. They act as guides for the boat/PWC and serve as backing tools, but that was more involved than I wanted to get.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info, I just got a new triton also, and cant really get to it well when its in the garage, ill check it out, if there are holes on the bottom, drilling a hole in the top might be a good solution!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tow with a full size van with no windows in back and have no issues.
Hey, having a jet ski and a windowless van isn't fair to the other child molesters... :p

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I solved my problem by buying another jetski and now the double trailer is longer so I can always see my trailer.
That's the best way to solve it!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I have a trailer with about a 6" tongue. I've learned over time that small corrections are needed and once you've gone too far, you can't get back under it. Better to just go forward and make another stab. Practice, practice, practice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts