Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising around 50mph in my 1998 sea doo gti (has a brand new motor; 6 hours) and it all of a sudden drops down to about 30 mph. So I thought I sucked something up. I shut it off rocked it and it started better so I went on my way and I heard a loud clunk and the ski slowed down to 20mph for a couple seconds, then all of a sudden the engine just shut off and the jet ski came to a fast stop. From a visual inspection, the impellar housing is shattered, but the impellar itself still seems in tact. But the engine refuses to start. Every time I try and start it the crankshaft rotates slightly and makes a click noise. And no more than that. I’m just trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with it so I can get back on the water. Not sure if it was something a sucked up and caused this or what. Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Tyler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did you run the engine in correctly ? How did you suck something in cruising at 50mph, were you close to shore or in a dam or river ?
You could have broken something in the engine from getting something jammed in the pump, 50 mph is nearly flat out as they do about 55 mph full speed, this means anything hard that could chew up your pump could have also damaged your new engine.
Out of the water can you get it to spin the motor with the plugs out ?
I am guessing with the limited amount of information you have given that you have done not only pump damage by not stopping and removing the Ski from the water after the first episode of slow down but ignoring the first event and continuing, you now have not only destroyed the pump but stuffed your Engine.
It should turn over freely with the starter if the plugs are removed, if it doesn't then either for some weird reason your starter died at the same time or something is still jammed in the pump and not allowing it to turn ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was cruising around 50mph in my 1998 sea doo gti (has a brand new motor; 6 hours) and it all of a sudden drops down to about 30 mph. So I thought I sucked something up. I shut it off rocked it and it started better so I went on my way and I heard a loud clunk and the ski slowed down to 20mph for a couple seconds, then all of a sudden the engine just shut off and the jet ski came to a fast stop. From a visual inspection, the impeller housing is shattered, but the impeller itself still seems intact. But the engine refuses to start. Every time I try and start it the crankshaft rotates slightly and makes a click noise. And no more than that. I’m just trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with it so I can get back on the water. Not sure if it was something a sucked up and caused this or what. Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Tyler.
Double entry for some reason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey,
Did you run the engine in correctly ? How did you suck something in cruising at 50mph, were you close to shore or in a dam or river ?
You could have broken something in the engine from getting something jammed in the pump, 50 mph is nearly flat out as they do about 55 mph full speed, this means anything hard that could chew up your pump could have also damaged your new engine.
Out of the water can you get it to spin the motor with the plugs out ?
I am guessing with the limited amount of information you have given that you have done not only pump damage by not stopping and removing the Ski from the water after the first episode of slow down but ignoring the first event and continuing, you now have not only destroyed the pump but stuffed your Engine.
It should turn over freely with the starter if the plugs are removed, if it doesn't then either for some weird reason your starter died at the same time or something is still jammed in the pump and not allowing it to turn ?
thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I ended up figuring it out. When the engine was replaced the engine they put in a cheap aftermarket impellar and impellar housing. I ran over something metal that chewed up my impellar bad (something metal) and this caused the impellar to get jammed in the impellar housing and instead of just grinding up the wear ring a little. It shattered the cheap aftermarket plastic housing. And since the impellar was jammed that’s what caused my engine to not turn over because the driveshaft could not spin freely. So I ordered a used jet drive, it now runs good as new.

Thanks again,
Tyler

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Double entry for some reason
Thanks for the reply, I ended up figuring it out. When the engine was replaced the engine they put in a cheap aftermarket impellar and impellar housing. I ran over something metal that chewed up my impellar bad (something metal) and this caused the impellar to get jammed in the impellar housing and instead of just grinding up the wear ring a little. It shattered the cheap aftermarket plastic housing. And since the impellar was jammed that’s what caused my engine to not turn over because the driveshaft could not spin freely. So I ordered a used jet drive, it now runs good as new.

Thanks again,
Tyler

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ouch, damned cheap parts never end up working out, I try getting away with cheap now and again and it has never worked for me yet, as in the end it always costs me double lol, I will learn one day, I just hate missing a bargain :)
Glad your engine came out ok as that would have been worse, if a cheap part bent your crank or damaged the engine.
Happy Jet Skiing :)

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
You ran over something hard enough to damage the impeller and you blaming the impeller ? How do you know it was metal ?
Glad you got it running

1 - 8 of 8 Posts