Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening folks! Just signed up to get some direction... What am I looking for? Speed, and lots of it. Right out of the box. Also looking at used.

I've been under the impression the Yamaha FZS is sick on speed. Locally however there is a 2009 RXT 215 for sale. Because it's close it's on my mind. I think I'd prefer a three seater for the stablity and better ride. Assuming that theory is true?

What's the fastest? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
All stock skis are currently limited to around a 68 mph through a "gentleman's" agreement between the manufacturers and the coast guard. The Yamaha FZR/FZS models are probably the best Yamaha model for upgrading modifications if you want more speed than the stock limit. Guys are approaching 100 mph with modified skis, but plan to spend lots of $$$ to get there.......it is not cheap. Right now the Yamaha VXR/VXS is the fastest and cheapest out of the box new ski on the market, but it just came out this year, so there are no used ones out there yet. Other guys will comment on the SeaDoo models.

Keep the following in mind: 60 mph on a jet ski is like 100 mph on a motorcycle. Conditions have to be perfect to maintain 70 mph on a ski for any length of time. Even a little chop will significantly limit your ability to go fast. Open water racers are lucky to maintain speeds of 50 mph over an ocean course. Bottom line is that in many conditions, unless you plan to race, you spend maybe 1% of your time on the ski at max speed and the other 99% much slower. Fuel consumption on the FZS is over 20 gallons/hour at top speed. What most guys that mod. their skis are really after is more acceleration, because you don't get to spend too many seconds at 85 mph and still stay on the ski.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Seadoo is the smart choice IMO

First of all what is your budget? The 2008 RXT is a great choice. I own a 2006 RXT and love it. As far as top is concerned the ski will run out to about 67-68mph at 7950 - 8100 rpms stock, all skis are governed to a max speed of about 68 mph by insurance regs, So baciscally when it comes to stock skis it is a race from 0 to 68 mph. Now modified skis can and do go faster due to either changin or reprogramming the ECU. My RXT is one of those very fast skis. I have spent alot to make it one of the fastest jet skis in my area. It has a RIVA STAGE III kit and exhaust plus a lot of other performance enhancements. Now the ski runs out to 77-78 mph @8500 rpms. The acceleration is very good also. I have a thread to show some of my mods. As far as the new factory skis are concerned there is none that will run with my RXT. The FZR yamaha is nice and fast, FZS is slower, the little rocket VXR is very fast for its class. Don't know where the Kawasaki 300 will fall, but it is no faster than the factory skis. The RXT 260 is very fast, but again not as fast as a performance ski with major mods.

If it were me I would buy the 2008 RXT and work it up with mods. Easily a 74-75 mph ski with mods.

·
Registered
811 Posts
We hang out in some glassy water with a nice beach, it is known for drag racing jet skis I can honestly say that my throttle is wide open only long enough to beat whoever is racing me, so it won't be beat to death, but is run wide open in that arena about 50% of the time. Just like when I would drag race snowmobiles waiting at the plowed ice strip waiting for guys who wanted to drag race. Lots of fun. Got into 4 races on Monday and won all four.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apreciate the responses. Thanks! I have no budget. I'm buying used because of depreciation. Not a fan of flushing good money down the toilet. Plenty of people buy toys with big dreams of using them on a regular basis and between weddings, kids sports, b-ques, etc. people find they don't use them and then they sell them. Practically new and three grand + less than they paid.

Unless someone has the ability to try them all it's tough. Everyone has different opions and loyalty to different brands. Back in the early 90's as a kid we had 1990 sea-doo's. Remember the oldies? We loved them and had a ton of fun. I'd buy a see-doo as a result. However, a local yamaha dealer is a friend. We socialize and he's really a good guy, and I think highly of yamaha. I grew up on yamaha atv's and currently have an Raptor 700 and a V-max 700 triple sled. (The Raptor is mint 2007 I paid 3500 for and the sled is a 2001, runs great, and paid 1200. So as you can see I enjoy toys but find paying the "used" prices it's affordable to have one for every season. I expect to pay a lot more for a ski. I want current. I have no issue paying 10 grand for one.

I'm 6'5, are there any that offer more "stretch" comfort for taller riders? What a tough decision!!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I apreciate the responses. Thanks! I have no budget. I'm buying used because of depreciation. Not a fan of flushing good money down the toilet. Plenty of people buy toys with big dreams of using them on a regular basis and between weddings, kids sports, b-ques, etc. people find they don't use them and then they sell them. Practically new and three grand + less than they paid.

Unless someone has the ability to try them all it's tough. Everyone has different opions and loyalty to different brands. Back in the early 90's as a kid we had 1990 sea-doo's. Remember the oldies? We loved them and had a ton of fun. I'd buy a see-doo as a result. However, a local yamaha dealer is a friend. We socialize and he's really a good guy, and I think highly of yamaha. I grew up on yamaha atv's and currently have an Raptor 700 and a V-max 700 triple sled. (The Raptor is mint 2007 I paid 3500 for and the sled is a 2001, runs great, and paid 1200. So as you can see I enjoy toys but find paying the "used" prices it's affordable to have one for every season. I expect to pay a lot more for a ski. I want current. I have no issue paying 10 grand for one.

I'm 6'5, are there any that offer more "stretch" comfort for taller riders? What a tough decision!!!
So if there is no budget and you want to be fast, buy the 2008 Seadoo RXT and start doing some mods, You can install a RIVA STAGE I and get into the 70's easy, I also know drivetrain and hull modifications that help with perfomance. There are no mods for engines on newer Seadoo 1500 engines yet. RIVA sells a GPS speed limiter over ride module. $275-$299 for a 3 mph gain. I am 6' and weigh 210 lb with no comfort problems:cool:

Correction RIVA is now releasing some mods for the 2010 & 2011 skis they are listed on my friends web site GREENHULK forum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if there is no budget and you want to be fast, buy the 2008 Seadoo RXT and start doing some mods, You can install a RIVA STAGE I and get into the 70's easy, I also know drivetrain and hull modifications that help with perfomance. There are no mods for engines on newer Seadoo 1500 engines yet. RIVA sells a GPS speed limiter over ride module. $275-$299 for a 3 mph gain. I am 6' and weigh 210 lb with no comfort problems:cool:
You keep saying 2008 rxt. I mentioned a 2009. Are you talking about the rig for sale locally or are you saying the 2008 is the better choice?

I really don't care to fool with mods. That's why I'm asking the fastest out of the box. Is there a great deal of speed different between the rxt 215 - 255 - or 260?

·
Registered
811 Posts
You keep saying 2008 rxt. I mentioned a 2009. Are you talking about the rig for sale locally or are you saying the 2008 is the better choice?

I really don't care to fool with mods. That's why I'm asking the fastest out of the box. Is there a great deal of speed different between the rxt 215 - 255 - or 260?
Sorry been talking to a lot guys that are looking at RXT's, All RXT'S are close in stock form because of the factory speed limiters. Thats why I am trying to explain that unless you MODIFY the speed limiter there is no difference in top end just acceleration. The 2009 is basically the same as my ski. If you aren't going to do anything about the factory speed limiter, your question is a mute point. All Brands of performance skis are very close in top end numbers :dunno:if they are left stock

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so lets talk acceleration. Out of the box who has the top "pull" out of the hole? Yamaha or Seadoo?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok, so lets talk acceleration. Out of the box who has the top "pull" out of the hole? Yamaha or Seadoo?
would say theYamaha FZR. then the Seadoo RXT 260, not sure about Kawasaki 300X but I am not impressed so far with it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would say theYamaha FZR. then the Seadoo RXT 260, not sure about Kawasaki 300X but I am not impressed so far with it

Interesting... I always thought horsepower got you out of the whole faster. The RXT has more horse than the FZS, ehhh?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Interesting... I always thought horsepower got you out of the whole faster. The RXT has more horse than the FZS, ehhh?
Torque is a huge factor in a hole shot then horsepower, the Yamaha FZR has a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder supercharged motor. Seadoo is a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder supercharged motor. The Yamaha is lighter than the Seadoo as well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Torque is a huge factor in a hole shot then horsepower, the Yamaha FZR has a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder supercharged motor. Seadoo is a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder supercharged motor. The Yamaha is lighter than the Seadoo as well
Thank you for your honestly since you're clearly a Sea-Doo fan. I appreciate it. If top end is all the same. Then I'm shopping for holeshot!

I've been leaning toward the FZS but as I mentioned the Sea-Doo was for sale locally.

I'll wait for a FZS.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thank you for your honestly since you're clearly a Sea-Doo fan. I appreciate it. If top end is all the same. Then I'm shopping for holeshot!

I've been leaning toward the FZS but as I mentioned the Sea-Doo was for sale locally.

I'll wait for a FZS.

Thanks again!
That is the cruiser version you want the FZR not the FZS ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the cruiser version you want the FZR not the FZS ;)
Really? How come? I compared the two on Yamaha's website and their about identical.

My limited experience is that the 3 seaters are more stable. You can actually stand on one side when the boat is not moving and it won't tip over. I thought the two seaters would tip if not in motion and someone leans to the side?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a dealer with a brand new leftover 2009 FZR. He'll take under 10K. It has not been in the water. Were there any problems to speak of with the 09? I realize that was the first year. Seems odd he'd have a left over two year old. Why wouldn't it have sold?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I found a dealer with a brand new leftover 2009 FZR. He'll take under 10K. It has not been in the water. Were there any problems to speak of with the 09? I realize that was the first year. Seems odd he'd have a left over two year old. Why wouldn't it have sold?
Should be fine with that, make sure of the warranty. He could have purchased it recently from a distressed dealer. I see them all the time on ebay for whatever reason, go for it.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts