Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I’m looking at buying a fx svho and not sure if I should buy the 2019 model as it’s on clearance and $4000 cheaper or get the 2020 model. Also are there any problems with them? Had a 2007 Kawasaki ultra250x that was riddled with problems
Thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hmmm, 4000 of is nice. But to me it would come down to what option differences there are. If non or nothing I wanted id go 19 and call it good.

I know of no issues with them. But I'm also not up on the newer ski's either. But I haven't heard of anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I myself would save even more money and buy a 2016 model with 20 hours give or take, there are plenty about, people that buy a Ski and then can't afford to keep it.
Marriage break ups, bankruptcies and illness.
When I was looking at buying a Ski years ago I looked at the new and they were about $24,000 AU and then I looked at earlier models as I was going from Pole Skis to a Waverunner style Ski so had no idea.
After much deliberation and not knowing if we would use the thing, I decided to throw away $5600 on a 2008 FX-SHO with 285 hours with a full maintenance history.
I also rang the Dealer that serviced it and asked if it was a good Ski, he asked how much and when I told him the price he said I was mad if I didn't buy it for that price.
It had just had $1460 spent on it at the last service, new bearings on the drive shaft and pump as well as a plugs and a few other things.
It was the best buy I have ever had, it goes like nothing I had ever ridden before and I can Ski behind it as well as pull three adults on a tube or two wakeboards.
My Kids and grandkids have a ball every week end we go out and being a self funded pensioner the near $20K saving compared to a new unit was very appreciated.
My 2008 SHO is standard fuel, so the savings there are quite a lot over a near 365 day a year Ski season :), it's about a $0.30 a litre savings on premium fuel.
I can boost the power of the Ski to about 235 give or take if I buy the low boost replacement wheel for the SC and still use normal fuel.
The savings over a new Ski allowed me to buy all the toys that go with having a Waverunner as well as new fishing gear for my SOn and I as we go out fishing on it and it's much easier and better than my 17 foot Yalta ever was, although my Yalta I could take out more people, it nearly always ended up being my SOn and I as friends always cancelled at the last minute.
I am not a money waster and have found buying second hand always works out much better in the long run as the first owner finds any problems and gets them fixed under warranty, therefore the next owner gets a problem free unit if serviced regularly.
My first ever new Car back in the early 80's taught me this.
The only advantage to a new Ski is the 3 year warranty, to me the near $20K is all the warranty I needed as any one can tell after taking a Ski out for a run if it's in reasonable condition and looking in the engine compartment lets you know if it's been cared for by the condition of the clamps and hoses and how much or little corrosion on any Aluminium parts.
How easily it starts and how much water is in the hull after a test run.
Do all the pissers work and a quick squiz at the pump housing and impeller.
New don't even look any different to mine except the colour, this I can change anytime I like as I am a professional spray painter.
Considering its size it would only take a litre of paint to make it look better than any normal new Ski as I could customise it's look, or I could buy a Wrap and make it look like a Spitfire or Scorpion :).
In the end it won't matter which you buy, a 2019 or 2020 model as they both use premium and have the same HP and the same Engine.
People won't know any difference when you tow it around or when you are in the water.
Only a few people may know from the colour as certain years had certain colours.
Most people wouldn't even know what brand Ski you have unless it has a sticker or badge with the name :).
I myself would go the 2019 and see if you can get a few extras chucked in like a nice wetsuit or Floatation vest , maybe a tube or wakeboard ?
It will have the exact same warranty as the 2020 version so a win win.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there I’m looking at buying a fx svho and not sure if I should buy the 2019 model as it’s on clearance and $4000 cheaper or get the 2020 model. Also are there any problems with them? Had a 2007 Kawasaki ultra250x that was riddled with problems
Thanks
I also have a 2007 Ultra250x, I got it used with close to 100 hours, it had some problem and got broke while I was on Hudson River in New York, so I said, either I will buy a new PWC so that I can take care of the service intervals myself, so I will not have a PWC at all, I know this is a dramatic decision, but I made it.

so I was in the market for brand new Yamaha Waverunners, and I decided to get FX LIMITED SVHO.
since Yamaha redesign the whole FX series in 2019, I dont think its a good idea to get the first model year on the redesign models, I do this with everything I buy like cars.
there might be some issues in the design and they will be addressing those in the next model year.

so last week I purchased 2020 FX LIMITED SVHO. I got a fantastic deal from New York City boat show. in US MSRP is $17599 but I got it for $15000.
so do some negotiations with the dealer to get a good deal on 2020 model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts