Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two times out, ski ran great until I got to a half tank of gas. At a half tank, the ski would die randomly. It would only turn over like there was a problem with the kill switch. After awhile, it would start, run great for 15 feet, then die. After awhile, it would start, run great for 10 minutes, then the process would repeat itself. The first weekend this happened, I rebuilt the carbs. I don't think that was the problem. Carbs didn't look bad. This weekend, I lifted up on the kill switch, it started up, I drove straight holding up the kill switch, but it died anyway. Lifting up on the kill switch didn't help the second time. If its fuel starvation, where could the problem be? I checked the tank check valve and its good. When I disconnected the hose, I could hear a rush of air so I think the air tank is "pressurized" appropriately. I put the tank on Reserve which made no difference. It's not a G-force issue because when it acts up, it will die going straight at any speed. Any ideas?

94 Yamaha waveraider 700cc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't have a fuel pump. But, another thing I thought of that may not be right is the gas tank breather. I took the check valve off, and the check valve seemed to work (I could blow thru one side, but not the other). This valve should let air into the tank and keep the gas from coming out. The part I'm unsure of is that I could hear air sucking into the tank when I took the check valve off. I think air should freely go into the gas tank to reclaim the space gas once took up. I don't think there should be any sucking noise if the check valve is removed, but I don't know this for a fact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts