Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Yamaha xl800 and 2002 gp1200.
They sat for two years untouched. :skullbones:

I picked them up and now trying to get to run well.
First thing is obviously new batteries, wont crank.

I checked spark and sparks good.

I guess my question has a few parts:

1) Before I buy a carb rebuild kit, is it absolutely necessary? and any tips on the rebuild? I hear its a headache...

2) The fuel must be bad by now, is there a decent product to fix it or must I drain the tank? If so how the hell would i do that?:confused:

3) Any other suggestions on how to get them purring once more?

thanks!:udaman:

·
Registered
23 Posts
A lot of tymes you can carefully remove and clean a set of carbs that has been left idle for a year or more..

There is nothing to delicate or specialized that you risk breaking..

Just use a quality carb cleaner after taking off the fuel bowl(be carefull to NOT soak that diaphram..pull out and set aside)..

Normally fuel sit in there until all the stuff that burns(volatile content) has evaporated..leaving a brown or green goo that drips out easily with a little carb cleaner..

Sometymes when only 8-10 months have gone by you can use a product like "seafoam" in the tank and it will clean the carbs..sometymes..

If your full tank is half full or less..you can add seafoam to the gas thats in there..top it off with fresh gas..and just deal with the fact is will run doggy for that tank full..

Hope this helps,
Brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
Drain all the fuel!!!! don't bother with the additves- they are nothing but a headache!! at least drain as much fuel as you can and then add high octane fuel to the tank! and if you want to add some kinda treatment then go for it- but don't add it to a tank of bad fuel!- it would be best to take the carbs apart and clean out the jets and reinstall- run a pin threw them and spray the inside with carb cleaner and it should be fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK! Good News!! :D

Daunted by the idea of opening up those carbs, and hesitant to buy rebuild kits because im broke, I went to autozone for a few cheap possible solutions.

I should start by saying I installed fresh spark plugs and batteries.

I purchased Lucas fuel restore (clean motor) formula and some octane booster, added about 3 gallons of premium to both skis and presto!

They took a minute to start but with some choke and throttle they lit right up!

So, thanks for your tips, hopefully this can save someone else some time and money!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts