Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I hope I can get a little help and advice, I'll try and keep this short.

I purchased a 2004 GTX 185 ltd a few months back that showed 18hrs on the cluster. I'd been told it had been in storage most of its life.

Before I done anything to it there was a new battery fitted and all levels checked, I took it out for a 2hr run and all was awesome!

I then done some research on these skis and wanted to try and bullet proof it.

So the first thing I read about was the valves dropping, I ordered all the nessesery parts from the dealers including the engibe locking tools. Every thing went well on replacing the valves, all torque settings done correctly and all new head bolts and rocker bolts and gaskets.

I used engibe assembly oil when putting it back together, I turned the engine over by hand using the supercharger nut and it all turned over freely and smooth.

I then turned the engibe over a few times in drown mode and then finally fired her up, she sounded awesome and super smooth!

I took it down the ramp to water test and it was cavitating really bad and the engine was shaking! I took it back to the trailer and noticed the impeller had a black bag around it and fishing line. I removed it and put it back it the water, and it was still cavitating really bad! I couldn't see anything at all in the pump and impeller! I reved it to 4000rpm and it just felt like somthing just popped out the back and it was once again running very smooth!

I took it out for another 15minutes just to make sure all was good and coolent levels where ok, I took it all the way up to 7650rpm and it was super smooth! I was loving it with a huge smile on my face that everything was running fine.

I then put it on the trailer and flushed the ski out with fresh water.

I took it home ready to winterize it in a few days time.

That day has come last weekend and when I went to start the ski it turned over quite slow but started, I then proceeded to walk around to the rear of the ski to start the anti-freeze pump and the engibe stoped! :/

I then went to re-start the ski but it was turning over really slow as it the battery was flat!

Here is what I've done and checked.

1. Checked the voltage and it was at 12.5v then I put the smart charger on the battery over night.

2. Tried to turn the engibe over using the supper charger but again but this time it wouldn't budge, the supermcharger clutch was just slipping imams it was that tight.

3. Took the supercharger out to inspect and it was rotating smoothly and free with no play and bearings and washers all looked good.

4. removed and inspected the jet pump and that was free and spinning.

5. Tried to turn over the engine over with the plugs out and supercharger removed, it didn't turn over any faster. Still the same.

6. Removed oil filter to inspect not nothing was found inside, no metal shavings, I even opened the pleates of the filler but nothing was in there it was super clean.

Note : I used the supercharger but to rotate the engibe over by hand once before and it was super smooth and free, now it won't turnover what so ever when trying to rotate with supercharger nut. That's trying with the plugs removed.

Any ideas what could be causing this guys?

Thanks jamie :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys. I hope I can get a little help and advice, I'll try and keep this short.

I purchased a 2004 GTX 185 ltd a few months back that showed 18hrs on the cluster. I'd been told it had been in storage most of its life.

Before I done anything to it there was a new battery fitted and all levels checked, I took it out for a 2hr run and all was awesome!

I then done some research on these skis and wanted to try and bullet proof it.

So the first thing I read about was the valves dropping, I ordered all the nessesery parts from the dealers including the engibe locking tools. Every thing went well on replacing the valves, all torque settings done correctly and all new head bolts and rocker bolts and gaskets.

I used engibe assembly oil when putting it back together, I turned the engine over by hand using the supercharger nut and it all turned over freely and smooth.

I then turned the engibe over a few times in drown mode and then finally fired her up, she sounded awesome and super smooth!

I took it down the ramp to water test and it was cavitating really bad and the engine was shaking! I took it back to the trailer and noticed the impeller had a black bag around it and fishing line. I removed it and put it back it the water, and it was still cavitating really bad! I couldn't see anything at all in the pump and impeller! I reved it to 4000rpm and it just felt like somthing just popped out the back and it was once again running very smooth!

I took it out for another 15minutes just to make sure all was good and coolent levels where ok, I took it all the way up to 7650rpm and it was super smooth! I was loving it with a huge smile on my face that everything was running fine.

I then put it on the trailer and flushed the ski out with fresh water.

I took it home ready to winterize it in a few days time.

That day has come last weekend and when I went to start the ski it turned over quite slow but started, I then proceeded to walk around to the rear of the ski to start the anti-freeze pump and the engibe stoped! :/

I then went to re-start the ski but it was turning over really slow as it the battery was flat!

Here is what I've done and checked.

1. Checked the voltage and it was at 12.5v then I put the smart charger on the battery over night.

2. Tried to turn the engibe over using the supper charger but again but this time it wouldn't budge, the supermcharger clutch was just slipping imams it was that tight.

3. Took the supercharger out to inspect and it was rotating smoothly and free with no play and bearings and washers all looked good.

4. removed and inspected the jet pump and that was free and spinning.

5. Tried to turn over the engine over with the plugs out and supercharger removed, it didn't turn over any faster. Still the same.

6. Removed oil filter to inspect not nothing was found inside, no metal shavings, I even opened the pleates of the filler but nothing was in there it was super clean.

Note : I used the supercharger but to rotate the engibe over by hand once before and it was super smooth and free, now it won't turnover what so ever when trying to rotate with supercharger nut. That's trying with the plugs removed.

Any ideas what could be causing this guys?

Thanks jamie :)
My SeaDoo sportster 215 is doing the same thing.Have u figured out what the problem was?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts