Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my slt 750 with the problem of it dying if a gave it full throttle. The first thing I went through is my carbs, after that I pulled my heads. Upon inspecting my heads I found that my piston that is closest to the pto(the rear most piston) had a crack in it about 1/2 inch along top of piston. I honed the cylinder jug and put in a new piston. I ran it for about 1 hour out of the water hooked up to the hose, everything seemed to be working great. Later that day I brought it down to the lake idled around 10 mph along the shore for like 20 minutes, still everything good. As soon as I ran it at around 80% throttle for around 20-30 seconds it dies, not able to restart. Upon inspection I had burned a hole right through my new piston, and their is minor aluminum deposits from it on the top of my jug. So I guess my question is what is causing my rear piston to have so much problems. I have heard that it has to due with the fuel pump not sufficiently pumping to all 3 carbs equally, and also that my oil pump may not have been working properly, but it was. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
burning and cracked piston

Well, i have read so many posts on this now i think that i found a solution. I am going to install a 3 outlet fuel pump, completely rebuild the carbs and replace that pesky piston 1 more time. I have been told by multiple people that i know in the field of mechanics, that a hole in the piston is surely due to running to lean. Hopefully all will be good this year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts