Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) Does anyone know what year Yamaha switched to SMC (sheet molded compound) hulls?
2) can you tell from this pic whether it is fiberglass or SMC?

My Waverunner was mint condition until some girls put it on the rocks and it has been sitting for quite a while now. It is a 1999 GP800. I have the 99' GP800 Yamaha service manual, but it does not say anything about SMC. The front hatch is definitely some kind of plastic but the hull is different. The hull appears to have either some mat or chopped mat in it but has a whitish tint all the way through, kind of like if you added gel-coat to the resin. Most fiberglass I am familiar with is transparent with the exception of the gel-coat or paint top coat, but then again I am used to seeing hand laid fiberglass not glass sprayed with a chop gun, so I don't know. I have read some of the descriptions of SMC but still can't tell. If you have a clue, please let me know!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Looks like SMC from the photo. SMC is painted and not gelcoated. It will have a marble like appearance when you remove the paint layer, and the fibers that you can see in the photo are typical of SMC. SMC is smooth on both the inside and outside since it is formed in a compression mold, and that is another clue that will differentiate it from layed up fiberglass.

You should be OK with the repair as long as you use an epoxy based repair material. You may need to add some layers on the inside for strength, since it is harder to get a good bond to the SMC.

With that amount of damage, you might be better off looking for a used hull. There are always guys parting out their skis. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smc

Thanks Earnest! That is confirmation of what I had been thinking. I was not really looking forward to taking the engine and gas tank out just to add some glass to the inside, and I am not even sure I would be able to fair such a massive repair on a non-flat surface. I guess I will have to keep looking for a hull I could use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts