Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Yamaha xl700.
I filled the oil reservoir to the top to make sure I didn't run out of oil.
Later the engine was pouring out smoke, the engine was running and idleing rough.
A friend of mine had the same problem and too much oil was the cullprit. He had maintenance done on the jet ski and corrected the problem.

My question is : Is the oil the problem? What corrective action is necessary to correct this problem?

·
Registered
194 Posts
you should make sure your gas is not premixed as well as the oil delivery system putting oil in the engine as well. Change the spark plugs and do a compression test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I accidently added oil to the gas about one tank ago. there could still be some in the tank. I also have heard that you never have the oil tank completely filled because pressure from the weight will force more oil than normal into the cylinder. I changed the plugs.
Will it be ok to run engine, with water hooked up, in order to burn some of the oil off? It runs rough and smokes so I'm hoping this will help.
thanks for your reply, I hope this works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually no. It won't hurt a thing. You may go through a few sets of spark plugs though. I would just go riding and run the tank out. Too much oil will foul plugs pretty quick. Take some extras with you. When the performance drops change them. As long as you are riding the shit out of it, it shouldn't foul anything. If you idle a prolonged period that is when they foul up. The machine are made to run high revs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I just filled the gas tank. I think that having oil in the gas tank is the major problem. Putting in gas may dilute the oil and hopefully running it will get rid of the oil. I think the oil injector is working properly but with it and oil in the gas is too much.
thanks again for your help. I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
dont run pre-mix in the tank when you still have the oil pump hooked up....

the boat will smoke more at idle than at WOT..... usually its around 300:1 at idle and 30:1 at WOT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It worked. I ran the tank dry, got rid of the oil in the gas, and it worked fine. No smoke. Gassed up, added oil to the oil tank and everything ran fine.
Thanks to all for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts