Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get a sound system installed by next spring/summer, so I'm trying to figure out what system I want.

I looked at the full wave audio system and I really like it. The only drawback to that is that I really don't feel like cutting big holes into my ski for the speakers (at least not just yet).

So I'm looking at the soggy dog system (which is just speakers in a custom housing that fits into the existing mirror housings).

Since that system is just speakers, my plan would be to get a decent marine amp. I can run the speakers to it, and also could connect my ipod to it using the headphone out to RCA in on the amp.

I know that since I'd have to wire the amp directly to the battery, I'd need to install an accesible toggle switch to turn the amp off when I'm not playing music (dangerous, since I'm sure I'd leave it on and drain the batteries a few times before I get used to the setup).

I'm looking for feedback on what you guys think about going with this setup. If you have any advice/issue/alternatives I'd be happy to hear from you.

thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also had another idea for the setup.

Instead of wiring the amp directly to my main battery, I could install a second battery to power the amp. Then, I could install an inline charger from the main battery to the "spare" battery, that would be wired to the ignition/hot wire. So if I accidentally drained the spare, I could just start the engine in order to recharge the spare from the main.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I design and manufacture the Soggydogaudio system. There are many ways that you can supply power to the system. Most people simply connect it to the existing battery. But, yes, if you forget to power it off, it can drain the battery. Other people use two batteries with one dedicated to the stereo, then they charge it after every ride (this gives 6-8 hours of stereo system run time). Another alternative is to use a Battery Combiner/Isolator. This connects two batteries together in charging, but dedicates one the starting, and one to running the stereo. I'm not sure if this is what your suggesting in the second post with the inline charger?

Kevin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your suggestion of an isolater/combiner sound exactly like what I'm looking for. I figured something like that existed, I just wasn't sure what it was called. If you can recommend any that are better suiting for a PWC (size, moisture resitence, etc) I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm 99% sold on the soggy dog system at this time though. Will probably order this week. Next week at the latest.

I'm just getting my shopping list together before I start ordering things.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done some more research and I think I've found what I'm needing. It's probably the same thing soggy is talking about. These things seem to be called different things depending on who you're talking to.

What I've found is called a voltage sensitive relay. Other called it a battery isolater. This relay "sits" on the positive line running from the main battery to the spare. It's initial state is open. Once the engine is running and the voltage on the main increases to a certain point, the relay activates and closes the circuit, sending voltage over to the spare and thus charging it.

Once you kill the engine and the voltage on the main returns to "normal", the relay will kill/open the circuit between the 2 batteries and they are now isolated from each other.

So far, i've found a nice model made by Blue Sea Systems. It runs for about $60 on Ebay.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the help.

While I have your attention, one other question.....do you see a marked improvement in your speaker system when using a 4-channel amp instead of a 2-channel?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, the only reason to go with the 4 channel amp is if you also plan to run the subwoofer. In that case, channel 3 and 4 are actually bridged for the sub. The 2 channel is more than enough to drive the speaker pods, and in fact, could also drive another pair of speakers, just not a sub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, the only reason to go with the 4 channel amp is if you also plan to run the subwoofer. In that case, channel 3 and 4 are actually bridged for the sub. The 2 channel is more than enough to drive the speaker pods, and in fact, could also drive another pair of speakers, just not a sub.
Will the setup for the Yamaha VX work for the Yamaha FX? I'm looking for a speaker setup for my Yamaha FX Cruiser HO. Please let me know when one becomes available. Thanks! -Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don,

Nope, the VX and the FX series have completely different mirror housings. The FX series is currently in work, and I should be able to post a picture of it within a few days. Thanks.

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts