Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Montego tigershark. I rebuilt the carb on the unit last year. I have the high and low needles on the carb to specifications of the watercraft. My problem is now the tigershark starts up and will idle, and can give bursts of throttle and it moves. But when I hold the throttle all the way down it stalls out. I am not sure where to turn to next. I have checked the lines, carb seems to be getting gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tigershark stalls out

My tigershark stalls out when reved up. After it is turned off then restarted it runs great for 7-9 seconds the stalls out. Got all water out so thats not it. Any ideas anyone? 96 or 97 650cc i think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the exhaust.

I just had the same issue.
As I read on another forum, the exhaust bolts broke at the expansion chamber to the down tube. All of the exhaust was dumping into the hull under the seat. The carb was sucking fumes. It idled fine but would not come up to plane.
I'm fixing it now, but I expect good results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well it began stalling again. Took it to a mechanic, said the carb filter had trash in it. He's going to clean it out and take it for a spin. We shall see. Wonder if a better inline fuel filter would catch the trash before it hits the carb filter? Gas with alcohol seems to make the older PWCs have problems with eating up gas lines. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1995 tigershark monte carlo. It runs great hooked to the hose. Runs at idle speed just fine in the water, but any acceleration on the water and it stalls. Cranks back up and will run a few seconds and stall, and so on. Replaced plugs, new carburetor, new fuel filter, fresh gas. Compression on both cylinders around 150. Help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
First thought is the engine is running on one cylinder. Maybe there is a
broken spark plug wire. But you should try testing for weak spark.

There is a simple spark test you can perform to determine if you have adequate spark for running conditions.
(1) Fully charged battery, and a good starter motor.
(2) Take two brand new spark plugs** and cut the bridge off each spark plug.
(3) Leave your old spark plugs in the cylinder.
(4) Install the two spark plugs (with the bridges cut off), into your spark plug caps, and ground them against your existing spark plugs.
(5) Crank over the engine, you should see good blue sparks on both plugs. If so, you have adequate spark for running conditions.
Keep the spark plugs for emergencies like a submerged engine, they make it easier to start an engine after it has been drowned.
** Non resistor spark plugs if possible.

Bill M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 1996 Montego tigershark. I rebuilt the carb on the unit last year. I have the high and low needles on the carb to specifications of the watercraft. My problem is now the tigershark starts up and will idle, and can give bursts of throttle and it moves. But when I hold the throttle all the way down it stalls out. I am not sure where to turn to next. I have checked the lines, carb seems to be getting gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
reeds

·
Registered
15 Posts
Test your exhaust temp sensor. If it is bad it will meter closed. This tells the engine that it is 200+ degrees and the CDI shuts it down to 3000RPM max. It only happens after the CDI takes over.10 - 15 seconds. A shutoff and restart "reboots" the CDI. So the engine will rev like normal until it sees that the sensor is sending a false signal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts