Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the engine on the floor, tapped out the starter bolts that I broke trying to get it out but the new starter revealed yet another problem, the old starter appeared to have seperated from the end part so here are a couple pics if someone can confirm this before I try to beat out the part that is stuck, I swear it looks like it is one piece molded to the block. I pulled the cover and I guess I need try try and tap out the race or bearing that is revealed from the inside? Is that right? I hit on it a few times with a punch and it didn't budge at all, from the outside it looks like one molded piece. One good point is the inside gears under that cover look like new!

Thanks, rhutson in NC

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new starter, I can't get that part out of the hole, might have to heat it with my map torch and see if that helps. They must have painted this after the starter was on cause there aint no seem where it meets the engine housing.

rhutson in NC

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still stuck

I sprayed on it for 2 days with PB blast, I hit it with a BIG punch, it didn't move at all. Surely someone has had this? I'm going to take it to the shop and get it heated up or something cause I'm at a loss here. This starter has caused all the major problems with this ski, first broken bolts that had to be tapped out now this.

rhutson

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bigger punch mate. Or you could attach a slide hammer. Remember dont heat it too much because it will heat the broken part too. If that doesnt work, get the die grinder out

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the starter in, it turns over but bat. Is dead. I need to get the corrosion off the motor, any suggestions what to use?

rhutson

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you check to see that the ground cable is still good? A bad ground cable will cause all sorts of hard starting issues. I made the mistake of using a WalMart cable when I replaced the truly bad original starter on my ski the the first time. First time the Walmart cable got wet, game over! (Of course, I discover the bad cable when I'm trying to install the new (3rd) starter I didn't need.) When I reinstalled the 2nd starter, I moved the new marine ground cable up higher on the engine for ease of inspection and future replacement. Starter just flys now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts