Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and to PWCs in general (or for that matter all boats). And I have a bit of a problem, that i think is my own doing, but I really need advice.

My girlfriend got sort of a present from her dad, a Yamaha WRB650Q(92 i think) that has been stored and not used for a few years. The deal was, I get it to run and we can have it. Well, I have reasonably good experience with MC engines, but none with any kind of boats.

The first problem was the battery. The battery in the ski was completely dead, but since I didn't know the condition of the ski, i didn't want to spend money on the battery before knowing that it runs. So, we tried to jump it with a jump box a few times. Eventually, after taking plugs out and cleaning them, I managed to start it. It ran ok.

Everything was going well, until i make a stupid mistake of jumping the ski again with only jump-box connected (i.e. no battery to mitigate the high power of the jump box). It started once, but not again.

Now, it doesn't turn over at all. All i get is couple clicks, but starter doesn't go at all. Since then, I bought a new battery and tried to jump it again with same result, so I don't think it's a battery issue.

I have no trailer and nothing really to tow it with, so I can't take it to a shop (that would be best thing), I basically have to deal with this myself. My original thought was that i fried the starter, but when I called a dealer, they said (the first time, since then they are not really giving me any useful advice) that this could be a starter relay.

I really need a direction here. A sort of troubleshooting steps that would help me to determine the cause of the problem and get the right parts to fix it. Or at least go about it in a logical matter.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Guess you would have to follow the power. If you are getting power to the starter, then it's your starter that is bad. If you are only getting power to the solenoid, right after the battery wire, then it is your solenoid. Been common on yamahas. Don't use a jumper box, only fully charged battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts