Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem starting my 1990 650 TS Kawaski after it has been
stored for a while. I drained all gas and replaced, added 4oz. of Seafoam to gas, put in additional oil, pulled plugs(they looked good but I may replace), cranked without plugs and it turned over several times OK . When I replaced the plugs it would crank one turn and lock up.

Need advice as to how to proceed to get it started and running.
All help will be greatly appreciated.

BUCK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Battery?

It could be a weak battery. Much easier to crank with the plugs out. Try connecting a battery charger while cranking with the plugs in (or use jumper cables to your car battery)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
starting

thanks for the advice Autoslot

But I am attempting startup off a battery charger. Old battery is no good after storage, I'll buy one when I get a start.

Could this be a stuck vaulve? Cranking with plug hole open but compression
preventing crank with no exhaust ? If so, how do I open a stuck vaulve?

Buck

·
Registered
7 Posts
A battery charger may or may not have enough amperage to turn the motor over with the plugs in. I wouldn't try anything else until you get a battery on the ski. Not sure about the valve question, I don't think that engine even has an exhaust valve. I think the intake is a Reed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is a reed valve engine, there is no possibility of a valve being stuck to prevent the motor from turning over.

I agree with autoslot. Replace the battery. If it's junk and wont take a charge then the charger will not have enough power to turn the motor over. If you have a riding lawnmower or a motorcycle try the battery out of that to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,no fear, makes sence.
How about bypassing the battery altogether and using a battery charger hooked directly
to the cables?? Would that do the same thing or do I still need a battery??

bucx

·
Registered
8 Posts
You still wont get enough juice with the charger hooked directly to the cables. A battery charger is designed to give the batter a low dose of voltage over a period of time to charge it. Some chargers have a start setting which will give it a little bit more juce right then but still not enough to start the machine on its own.
When you do get a good battery try putting a little starting fluid in the cylinders, My 150 ultra would not start until i did this. Some say to use WD40 to start it but this would not work for mine. It wanted the real thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks logan1221,

I have been putting off buying a new battery ( which I'm sure I need since my ski has been stored for 2 years) til I get a start and a buyer. I tried the charger and starting spray the last time I had a problem starting after a lay off, and she fired right off. I guess I'll have to spring for the new battery.

bucx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts