Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first jetski and last summer spent the whole summer in North Carolina and pretty much fell in love with stand ups. Living in Illinois not to many people know or appreciate these amazing machines. I bought a 89 kawi 650 with a stock 28mm Keihin carb. When I go to start it, I have to pour gas or spray starting fluid in the carb and fully choke it. Once it fires, I have to keep the choke fully closed and give it throttle to keep it running. The second I open the choke it dies. I did take it out for an hour and once I got it started I took off out of the marina with the choke on, and once I could give it full throttle I could then turn the choke off and it ran really good as long as i stayed in the throttle. When I shut it off would not start back up. Hoping someone may have an idea as to what my problem could be. For now im going to try rebuilding the carb and fuel pump.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's probably just the carb. If it was the fuel pump it wouldn't start at all.

Sounds like your low speed jet is plugged. Those carbs are simple to work on.
I would just pull it apart and clean it out. IMO no need to do a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, the needle valve for the low idle was screwed up. Someone had tighened it down way to hard and it had a big ridge and was bent up. Replaced that and she ran great

1 - 3 of 3 Posts