Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! Can't figure this out... This JS300 seemed to be running fine. Then it started dying hard, and was hard to restart. Then when you would throttle it up it would whine really loud and die immediately...almost like it locked up (but it wasn't). This went on for a while (but couldn't ride it), then it wouldn't even turn over. After checking the starter relay (it was OK), I took off the starter and heard rattling when I shook the starter. I took it apart and it was mangled inside (broken parts everywhere). I got a new starter, installed it, and thought I had it figured out. However, when I started it the first time, the whining and hard stop happened again. So, think my flywheel clutch is stuck and makes the starter spin while the engine is running. But I'd really like a second opinion before I tear into this. Anybody ever seen this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've never heard of it before, but it is possible. It sounds like the bendex is remaining engaged. remove the front cover and check to see if it is. if it is it shouldn't be too much work to just clean it up. Soak it with WD40, take it completely apart and thoroughly clean. Use Never Seize as the lubricant as you are putting it back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 'no fear here'. But can you clarify what "front cover" you're talking about? I'm not sure where the bendex is located. You mention it shouldn't be too much work, but taking the cover off the flywheel would be a pretty big job since the main drive comes out of that cover. I'm not afraid to pull out the whole engine, but you made it sound much simpler. Thanks for any help.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if 550 motor is similar enough but mine turned over and sounded strange before it would quite like yours. Turned out to be the bearing seals in the crankshaft were getting chewed up. New seals and springs and it hums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bearing seals sound more like what it could be. Still doesn't explain why that starter got mangled. Oh well, I guess a tear down is in my future. No biggie...actually sounds like fun. Thanks for the help fellas....I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts