Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I wonder if someone can tell me what broke down in my jet ski.
I was riding and jumping some small waves, than took off doing 50 mph, than all the sudden, big noise and it start to vibrate like it was going to fall apart!
At the least the engine was working and I could get back to the dock going about 4 mph (took me over 1h to get back!)
Anytime I tried to go over 3 rpm the Waveruner would vibrate and sound terrible from one end to another!
I have a 2004 1200 2 stroke waverunner!
Thanks for any info!
David

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Check your ride plate and intake grates. I had my stand up lose 2 of the front bolts and the ride plate was hanging down doing exactly what you described. Also, check your motor mounts to make sure none got broke from the wave jumping. Same with the shaft that your impeller is on. I'm also assuming you were meaning 3000 rpm's because your ski wouldn't idle at only 3 rpm's. Check your plugs to see what kind of condition they are in and while you have them pulled, look into the plug hole with a flashlight to see if you can see any damage inside of the motor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
DRIVE SHAFTS! XLT1200's have a male and female shaft. Usually the spline where they meet strips. This is caused by the short shaft bearing housing seals failing and that will wash the grease from the spline, usually resulting in the short shaft rusting and/or stripping. Can also be caused by a broken engine mount or the engine being badly shimmed.
It would have made a grinding noise when you gave it more throttle and not increased speed. Big job. If you want to do it let me know and ill tell you what you need and how to do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts