Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 STX 1100 with a new top end overhaul. I have to put a few drops of fuel/oil mixture in the carbs for it to start when I first get to the lake. It will start easily the rest of the day. The chokes work. It has new plugs with proper gap. It runs and idles great. Good throttle response. Does anybody have a probable cause and solution.
Thanks,
Ken

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
krmccomas said:
I have a 99 STX 1100 with a new top end overhaul. I have to put a few drops of fuel/oil mixture in the carbs for it to start when I first get to the lake. It will start easily the rest of the day. The chokes work. It has new plugs with proper gap. It runs and idles great. Good throttle response. Does anybody have a probable cause and solution.
Thanks,
Ken

install a primer and all problems will be gone

·
Registered
12 Posts
550 OCEAN PRO SLUT said:
install a primer and all problems will be gone
This is true. I had a few 2000 900 STX's that has the same problem, I think all kawi are hard to start at first. After I got the primers installed, all i had to do was hit the primer a few times and it would start right up. I think they were pretty cheap like $75 installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to PWCs, just bought a clean '98 STX1100 and it seems to take a while to start when cold. I came across this thread, hopefully it's not too stupid a question to ask what you mean by installing a "primer"?

Also, I suspect I have a problem with the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank, the gauge is reading empty and flashing the red warning light even though it is full of gas. Is there an easy way to test it or take it out, there is no room under there! I assume it is a mechanical float and might possibly be stuck, teh ski was sitting unused for quite a while apparently. I did swap the oil tank and fuel tank connectors and the fuel gauge showed full, teh oil gauge flashed empty.

Thanks for any help.
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts