Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2000 Yamaha SUV. Oil injector still connected. Owners says he uses "synthetic oil." I thought I read somewhere that Yamahas should stick with Yamalube? Is this an issue? Also, if I buy it I am thinking I should stick with what he has had success with since I also thought I read that switching oils can gum the lines up a bit if the oils are different.

J

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
On the models that have the cat/con, non-Yamaha oils can cause it to clog and fail pre-maturely. That ski may not even have the cat/con any more since a lot of owners replaced them with a "D" plate system. You may also want to consider getting rid of the oil injector and going pre-mix, since that is another component known to fail on those skis.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Injector

Thanks for the info...

I've been reading up on the oil injector issue. I see guys saying it failed because the lines gunked up because of using different oils, and I see guys saying that the hoses disconnected due to the cheesy way they were installed. People say it is a design flaw. Of course there are pumps that fail just because the pumps fail.

I would prefer not to premix but like what someone said premixing is the "cheapest engine insurance out there."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts