Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2003 Waverunner FX140 basket case. From the outside it looks to be in decent shape, its just been sitting for a few years.
They told me the drive is froze up, and honestly I know nothing about PWCs. The motor its slef looks to be in great shape, though there is corrostion from salt water on the stuff lower in the hull.
I'm handy with tools so I'm confident I can do the work, as long as I can figure out whats wrong.
I'm sure it'll be a lot of work, but the price was right :thumbsup:

Is this a good PWC to have? What's good about it? What do I need to watch out for or keep an eye on?
What are other things a new PWC owner needs to know?
Where can I buy a factory service manual for a reasonable price?
Where can I find parts for good prices? Any places to buy used parts?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Good news is that the FX is a nice stable ski when its running. Bad news is that skis that have been sitting around for long periods of disuse are usually in worse shape than ones that have been run to death.

I'll be surprised if you don't need a new (rebuilt) engine, and a pump rebuild as a minimum. What typically happens is that the piston rings rust in place as well as many other parts (bearings, valves, etc.). Repair is usually not cost effective, due to the high cost of buying part-by-part. After you add things up you may find that you will end up spending more fixing it up, than you would have spent on a running ski, since you can usually find a running 03-05 FX in the $2500-$3500 price range, and a rebuild engine alone is going to cost you $2000+. You will have to pull it all apart to know for sure...........you may get lucky, and find that its just a rusty wear ring, but don't count on it.

For rebuilt engines look at: SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories and Water Craft, Sport Boat Parts & Rebuilt Engines | PWC Engine. They also have new and used parts. OEM parts can be found at: Yamaha Waverunner Parts, Where America goes for Yamaha Waverunner OEM watercraft parts online and Yamaha Waverunner Parts. Look to Ebay for people parting out skis, for the best prices on used parts. You may be able to find someone who will send you a copy of the service manual or you can get an after market one off Ebay and other places for less than $20. A factory manual will cost you around $80 unless you can find someone that can give you a copy. I've seen used factory manuals occasionally sell for cheap on Ebay.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took the ski with me to work today so I could mess with it a bit. Changed out the plugs and sucked out the bad gas sucked out the bad gas. After a little encouraging she finally fired up, and ran pretty rough at firt, but as the fresh gas made it through and was able to clean out some of the gunk she pured like a kitten. She'll fire right uip now no problems.
After I let it get nice and warmed up I sucked as much oil out as I could and then changed the filter.
tested her again, and BAM fired right up. It took severl times of me running it, and then checking the oil, and adding it and running it, and checking, etc... to get the oil level correct.

I'm pretty excited she runs so well, now I just need to get on the hunt for some drive parts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds good. You'll probably have it in the water soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts