Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I bought two 2012 Yamaha skis in 2017. Both are the same engine/supercharger combo. The one I’m having an issue with is the FX SHO.

Background...I bought these things because my kids thought it would be fun, and it is, but just this past summer did I really get to play with them (the skis) much. They were in great condition when I got them, we used them for a few hours in salt water in 2017, used them about 15 hours in fresh water in 2018, and probably another 15 hours this past summer. They were properly rinsed/ washed after use in salt water, and the lake does the job for you. This year I changed plugs, oil, filter, and unless usage goes up, I’ll just keep doing that at the end of each season.

Yesterday, me and my oldest were at the lake on the skis. They do about 70MPH, and we were zipping all over to burn the remaining fuel out of the things before we put them away for the winter. I look behind me, and Andy is gone, so I turn around and there he is, about a mile back, dead in the water. We had been riding the skis for about a 1/2 hour before the problem started. He reported that first he got a temp alarm and subsequently the ski went into limp mode, so he shut it off. I found an overheat odd as the ski never stopped ejecting water from the holes on the sides and the rear top, but I confirmed the indication by lifting the seat; it was hella hot in there. I towed him a few miles and he started up again. We rode for another five minutes and he went back into limp mode, so we turned it off and dragged him in. Upon taking the drain plugs out of his ski, we saw a lot more water come out of his ski than usual, but that may be due to the towing.

What the hell is going on here? Thermostat maybe?

Also, I change the impeller on my boats every year...do I need to do that on the skis? Other than oil and plugs, what should I be doing every year for maintenance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Craig, welcome aboard.
First thing I would suspect is the thermostat is stuck. I'd replace it with Yamaha oem parts though, not cheaper after market. Go to either Babbittsonline or Partszilla.
After salt water riding are you flushing with "salt a way" or "salt terminator"? These neutralize the salt in the alluminum of the motor to stop corrosion from starting. Just flushing with water doesn't get the salt out of the pores in the alluminum.
The 2 side pissers are cooling line/air bleeds from the motor. The rear vertical spray or safety spray. Is just a tap coming off of the jet pump for visibility to other boaters. Not tied to cooling at all. Just for future reference ?. It can even be capped off if you wish. I put a valve I'm mine so when towing a tube the riders don't have that spraying in there face.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts