Personal Water Craft Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is alot more room in a car to make it clean ...Take a look at an RX8
and how meny Cats they have to run.....cats are heavy also ....

·
Registered
61 Posts
SuperJETT said:
About a year ago I looked into this for a standup with some other people/companies. The rotaries that will physically fit in a standup hull have less torque in the midrange than a limited 2-stroke does, weight is about the same engine-engine (though the rotary would require something on the output shaft for alignment), and are much more expensive.

The output shaft is in the middle of the engine, and no matter how low you mount it, it will not align with a driveshaft in a standup, requiring some offset mechanism such as a gear/belt/chain setup which adds weight/complexity in an already tight area.

It could be done, but at a high cost. The really nice thing I was looking at was you can run them as a 2-stroke with premix.
You could but the clean air police would mandate something built in the motor that would prevent you from doing so..If in fact the cost factor was overcome ..and with fuel prices and labor cost i dont see it...

They will however make some sort of 4 stoke ..might even be a side mount kind like BMW has on there motorcycle or like subaru has.....it will be a hi reving motor for sure overhead cam im sure .....other then that who knows

Also it will be dry sump oiled this way they can fit it tight in the hull of a stand up..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm just talking about for myself---I was looking at something along the lines of what Tom (Rexx Racing) did with his Mazdoo kits.

There are several sources out there for lightweight rotary engines, but none of them were a good match, and all were expensive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, I see what you're saying about the rotaries. I never said they were a good choice to replace a 2-stroke, just that what I've read suggests they might be a replacement for a 4-stroke... Again, could still be wrong!

Besides, there's a new type of rotary in development that can match a 2-stroke for torque and runs clean enough to not need a cat!! I can't remember the name of is right now, but it's on Howstuffworks.com

21 - 27 of 27 Posts