Personal Water Craft Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How accurate are KBB prices?
Pretty accurate.

Is that what I should expect to pay when buying one used from an individual? Dealer?
Yes but condition and recent work done plays a factor too. Best bet is too use searchtempest.com and see what the same watercraft are selling for. That will give you the best guide of what to offer.

Also, you say more stable I assume you mean riding correct. What are my best bets to minimize maintenance?
It's a larger hull which means more stability riding and boarding in deep water. If you plan on riding with a passenger the GSX would not be the best choice.

If low maintenance is a priority I would look at a Yamaha GP1200 or GP1200r. As much as I like Sea-Doos they are maintenance queens. You have to change the jet pump oil and grease the drive shaft regularly on them. Also if you will store it in below freezing temps in the winter you have to pump anti freeze through the motor and exhaust. On Yamahas you don't have to do any of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your help... From the sound of it it sounds like a Yamaha 1200/r might be my best bet. What's the difference between the 1200 and the 1200r? Should I be targeting different years? Focusing more on hours?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for your help... From the sound of it it sounds like a Yamaha 1200/r might be my best bet. What's the difference between the 1200 and the 1200r? Should I be targeting different years? Focusing more on hours?
The GP1200 was made from 1997 and 1999 and looks like this:

The GP1200r came out in 2000 and in 2003 became the GP1300r:

The GP is lighter and a better wave jumper also has more storage space. However the GPR is more stable in the chop since it is heavier.

Just do a compression check and check the impeller for damage. The GPR will need some reliability mods to make it dependable like a D plate and Wave-eater powervalve couplers. Do a search it is common knowledge. Most 2 strokes need at least a top end job around 200 hours so that is something you should keep in mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my first PWC last week, well really wasn't for me, was for my daughter. She's 15, just aced her driver's test and PWC test, scoring 100 on both, so as a reward, I bought her a '96 WB760u (WaveBlaster 2). Excellent condition for an old jet ski, the guy who sold it to me has four for sale, he's got 11 jet skis total, lives on the same lake as I do.

$1100 with trailer, engine compartment is spotless, not a single scratch on the body anywhere, seat is in perfect condition, only issue I can find is the bar pad is somewhat faded.

Now I've been told that on these Waveblasters, the small oil pump on the front of the engine that mixes the 2-stroke oil with the gas, they go bad often. I'm just curious about that, as I don't want to have that engine freeze up on me.

By the way, great thread and I've never run a compression test before, was laughing at that video up front as it looks incredibly simple. I have one of those really fancy compression test tools and haven't used it ever...lol.. gonna use it now!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for a pair of skis that do well on lake water that can be dead calm one day and then be ultra choppy the next. I was also wondering what is a good amount of hours for a used jet ski? Right now I've got a line on matching 2002 yamaha 1200r's with 56 and 60 hours.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm looking for a pair of skis that do well on lake water that can be dead calm one day and then be ultra choppy the next. I was also wondering what is a good amount of hours for a used jet ski? Right now I've got a line on matching 2002 yamaha 1200r's with 56 and 60 hours.:confused:

That is very low hours. I guess anything over 200 would be considered "high." However it all depends on how it was maintained and ran etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new to this forum and plan on getting a jet ski. I am thinking about a 2006 Honda F-12 or a 2000 Sea-doo GTX ME. Anyone have any advice on these PWC's? Pro's-Con's? These will be used in fresh water.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new to this forum and plan on getting a jet ski. I am thinking about a 2006 Honda F-12 or a 2000 Sea-doo GTX ME. Anyone have any advice on these PWC's? Pro's-Con's? These will be used in fresh water.

Thanks in advance.
The Honda, in my opinion is probably more reliable, but however, Honda isn't producing Ski's anymore so it will someday become a pain to get parts. Pick and choose.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but after looking at the questions and responses it seems that no one has said the obvious, which is: Don't buy a Tigershark, Polaris, or Honda PWC unless it is really, really cheap, beacuse they don't make them anymore. It's hard to find mechanics that will touch them if they are older and especially if they are fuel injected. It gets harder and harder to find anything but used parts. Buying those brands can make the PWC hobby more frustrating than fun.

If you are handy with a wrench, and have access to the Internet and used parts, you may want to invest a few hundred dollars in one of the brands mentioned above, but do not do so if you are a novice at PWC repair.

As to what's left, we have Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Sea Doo, which are listed in my order of preference. When talking with PWC mechanics I have been told that Yamahas and Kawasakis mainly come into the garage for routine maintenance, while Sea Doos mainly come in for repairs.

I have owned a 1996 Tigershark, which bogged down after it warmed up; a 2002 Polaris, which quit running after the fuel pressure regulator and computer chip went out; and a 2006 Sea Doo four-stroke whose engine totally puked when the timing chain broke and all the valves and rods were bent after only 47 hours of use. Now I have 2 Yamaha XLT 1200 Waverunners. I prefer two-stroke, because they are easier to work on (and easier to find someone to work on them) and the engine usually does not cost as much to repair if something goes wrong, and Yamaha because of the reliability. The XLTs are the most comfortable and stable PWCs that I have owned. If your lower back hurts after riding on the PWC for half an hour it takes a lot of the fun out of riding.

Of course, an individual needs to think of his/her particular needs when deciding on a specific brand and model, but at least try to stick with a brand that is still being made.
You have to decide about new with warranty over used without warranty, and if you go with a used PWC you need to decide two-stroke or four-stroke, then what size of PWC/how many passengers. I have found typical three seaters to be good, all-around PWCs that will haul people and tubes with ease. The ultimate in PWC ownership is to purchase a brand-new PWC, with the extended warranty, and then sell it the day before the extended warranty expires and buy a new PWC, with extended warranty, and then sell .... I think you get what I mean. But I don't have as much invested in the two XLTs that I have as a new PWC would cost.

Hope my .02 has helped. I wish I had looked at a thread like this before I purchased the Tigershark and Polaris (which I purchased together used). I would not have purchased them.

Also, I have found Flo's insurance to be the most reasonably priced. It was a lot less than adding the PWCs to my homeowner's policy or gettin insurance through the other leading boat insurance co.

Happy Boating

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone.I live in Australia. I'm looking at buying my first PWC.
I live near a lake and the beach.
I am after a 3 seater, I want to pull a skier, teach my 15 and 18 year olds to ski.
Leaning towards a Yamaha or Kawasaki but not sure between a supercharger or not.
Preferably between 2008 to 2012
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED

PS .... I'm very very new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 xl1200 limited

Hi guys new to the forum and seems like a friendly atmosphere. Im looking t:ShowLetter5:buy a 2000 xl1200 limited the ski has 70 hours on it and im getting it for $2300. Should i be concerned about the low amount of hours for the year and what should i look for when i go to look at it. the guy has already said i can test drive it so i can see it runs. Is there anything to look for to make sure it stays running after test drive? feed back is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone.I live in Australia. I'm looking at buying my first PWC.
I live near a lake and the beach.
I am after a 3 seater, I want to pull a skier, teach my 15 and 18 year olds to ski.
Leaning towards a Yamaha or Kawasaki but not sure between a supercharger or not.
Preferably between 2008 to 2012
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED

PS .... I'm very very new.
I would stay away from kawaski. everyone i have seen is loud and smoked real bad. a nice skiing jet ski you might want to look at the seadoo wake models which comes with everything you need to tow a skier. it has 3 seating and a nice tow pole in the bank it comes in a 155 horsepower or 215 horsepower model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have big community of pwc, and from many different brands, types and year.
From our experience, top 3 brad are yamaha, seadoo and Kawasaki.
All the 3 were great & reliable. It depends strongly on how we keep the maintainance every time after use, and schedule oil & parts replacement.
Because we're playing at saltwater, cleaning everytime after use is important.

Check out our supercharged pwcs in action:

SeaYRs - Seribu Sabtu Seribu Pulau - YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great post. Im new to this forum and am currently looking for my first ski. My wife and i are middle aged and would ride together on lake erie in ohio. Mostly crusing so speed is not an issue. Im looking for something that is comfortable and stable. I have the opportunity to purchase a honda 2006 f12-x with 17 hrs on it that looks brand new for 5 grand including the trailer and cover. After reading all the posts Im not sure if this is the right ski for me. Its seems to be a great deal and i would have a local shop go over it first. After all my research though it seems like a yamaha fx would be better for me. I want to keep the cost around 5 grand including the trailer as i would only use it on weekends when im at the lake. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have owned a 2 stroke 1997 Yamaha GP1200 that is a blast to ride and other than replacing the seat cover and grips, the ski is flawless.

Just bought a 4 stroke 2006 Kawasaki STX 12F for my wife and was huge mistake. How they can put unprotected metal in their bolts and brackets is beyond belief. Unfortunately I did not see all of the rust until I was replacing the Meter Assembly. In addition, the genius Kawasaki designers built the Gauge Meter Assembly to internally rust out in a short timeframe and these puppies cost $700 to replace. Nice

You will never see these kind of short cuts in a Yamaha and I should of stuck with my gut and gotten another Yami instead.

Good Luck in your search

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Middle aged? What's that? When you're on a PWC you're young again!

Why buy one ski, and make the wife ride (or worse yet, you ride while she drives)? For about $6,000 or less you can have two 2-stroke Yamaha XLT's (2001 - 2004 models) and a tandem trailer. That way you can both ride at the same time.

I know, Ernest T, 2-strokes are a thing of the past, outdated technology, dinosaurs, etc. But two strokes still work fine, have lots of power, are easier to work on, and are still allowed on Lake Erie. And they're cheaper and less prone to major catastrophic engine failure. The Yamaha XLT's are extremely stable and confortable. When you get "middle aged" riding a PWC can get you in the lower back after a while, and the XLT's don't do this. Comfort and stability all the way. And they can still go 50 mph +. When you're "middle aged" that's fast enough.

You also feel a lot more secure when you have another PWC and rider with you. Breaking down on Lake Erie when you are by yourself is not a lot of fun. I've been there. Stranded while riding on a sea doo, of course.

The pros and cons of the Yamaha XLT's are well known, and with a little low cost "troubleproofing" they are great PWCs. Read this thread through, if you haven't already, and you will get a much better idea as to what to buy and what to avoid. As always, stay away from Tigershark, Polaris and Honda, because these are not being made anymore. Stay away from sea doo because they're crap.

Hope you see you on Lake Erie the last week of June - 1st week of July. That's when my kids and I will be on Kelleys Island. We're the silver 2001 and purple 2002 Yamaha XLT's. My oldest turns 16 the first week of May. This will be the first year he will be able to pilot a PWC by himself. A great bonding opportunity for father and son. But if you're going to be on Lake Erie this summer, beware!

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

·
Registered
2 Posts
Waring if you are considering a SeaDoo Spark

Warning - Be Careful Buying a spark - We have a brand new SeaDoo Spark that doesn't work:( After 13 hours of riding a brand new spark, it broke down during normal riding with a high pitched whining noise and no propulsion. Turns out poor quality control and cheap parts caused the splined area where the drive shaft mates with the impeller shaft was stripped. The Dealer has ordered new parts and will have to take the engine and most of the Spark quite apart to repair ($8000 repair)... But this will all take weeks (in the middle of the riding season!!!) and the BRP is dragging their feet looking for new parts and cheaper ways to make the repair!!! Lol - the part must be failing for everyone:(

I am not alone, search forums and google it for yourself.

Thanks for the high quality ski SeaDoo and BRP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Frst timers

My husband & I are looking at getting a PWC each. We are looking at SeaDoo 600 & 800 or a Kawaskai 1100's. I'm leaning towards the SeaDoo's just cause they look to have been taken care of better than the others. My true question is my husband is 6'2" 240#'s. Which do you think he would be more comfortable on? I'm good with a 600 that's for sure. I just love riding & don't need speed. lol

21 - 40 of 79 Posts