Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an ad for a 1989 650sx. The ad says it was bought new in 1989 and used for about 50 hours in a Florida freshwater lake. After 2 summers of use the battery was taken out and it's sat in a garage for about 20 years. The guy is the original owner and has the title for it. He said it ran fine when he put it away in the garage. I'm considering getting it as a project. He says it will need to be cleaned throughout before trying to start it, which is pretty obvious. I have NO experience with any of these skis but i know a bit about motors and turning wrenches. It's $400 so i want to know if anyone on here might have an opinion of whether it's worth it or not. Maybe you guys know what might be bad on the ski from sitting for that long in Florida's humidity etc? The engine compartment APPEARS to not be too ugly. The main balloon shape of the pipe looks oxidized and the plugs are rusted. Other than that it LOOKS ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
For that price I would jump on it. Providing that it has the hrs. that are claimed.
Clean the carb thoroughly, flush the tank with some Methyl Hydrate after getting all the old fuel out, run the M.H. through the fuel pump as well to clean it out.
You should probably start with a compression test before considering the purchase anything below 140 and it might need some work. They come stock with 155.

Personally I would buy it no matter what for $400, clean it up and flip it for $1500, but I live in Canada and that is their selling price up here for a running ski.

Check Craigslist for the average selling price of a running machine, then add your time and material to that $400 and you may find a better deal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about it and also thinking about finding one turn-key for around $800. I'll see what happens

1 - 3 of 3 Posts