Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i am intrested in this ZXi 900 but i really dont know the first thing about them. Could anyone please help, are there any common problems that occur with these skis. Any information would be helpful and much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmm... An older used ski is probably not the best way to go if you don't know much about them. The main problem area is the engine. When a ski is that old they often have many hours on the engine already and you don't know what kind of care it has been in.

At the absolute least, do a compression check while the engine is cold. You should see all 3 cylinders at or about the same psi and all should be above 100psi. If you can you need to test ride it. Check for any sluggish feel to it during any point of throttle application, make sure all the gauges and trim works if it's there. After the ride and the engine is warmed, you should do another compression check. The numbers shouldn't be very drastically different from the first set. Also the engine shouldn't be to hot to hold your hand on after riding. If it is then it's overheating and somethings wrong.

If anything seems off you should think twice about purchasing this ski unless you are willing to possibly make repairs, sometimes expensive repairs. If you do get the ski, I would recommend having the carbs rebuilt, it's just a good peace of mind since they can ruin an engine if not working correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou very much for the advice. i am purchasing this ski from a shop which has just completely reconditioned the engine and the whole package seems to be quite genuine! Thanks again for your time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts