Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never owned a jet ski, was thinking of buying a 1999 gsx-rfi sea-doo.. it only has 74 hours on it.. just wondering how dependable they are, if they had any major problems in that year, how the perform? All I know about it is that it is fuel injected..

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
The word on the street is that the RFI and DI SeaDoos are not depndable and expensive to repair. While others say they are great so who knows.:dunno:

If the compression is good and the watercraft was taken care of I'd go for it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Dude, don't be penny wise and pound foolish, unless you are getting the ski for a song and can do your own mech work, stay away unless you like stress. You have to assume that there is going to be major repairs down the road. So unless you offset the expected repair costs by purchase savings you are gonna throw good money after bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is 74 hours a lot of hours? this is all new to me, i bought a sled this year with 4500 miles , rode it another 200 and it blew up on me.. now i'm going threw putting piston, rings and a power valve.. i don't mind replacing piston and rings once in a while but if it is to major i'll send it to the shop.. i can get this jet ski for 2000, includes the trailer, cover, and 2 life jackets.. does that sound like a good deal? or not worth the head ache..

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
is 74 hours a lot of hours? this is all new to me, i bought a sled this year with 4500 miles , rode it another 200 and it blew up on me.. now i'm going threw putting piston, rings and a power valve.. i don't mind replacing piston and rings once in a while but if it is to major i'll send it to the shop.. i can get this jet ski for 2000, includes the trailer, cover, and 2 life jackets.. does that sound like a good deal? or not worth the head ache..
No 74 hours is actually low hours. It's the fuel injection componants that like to fail on these RFI or Di SeaDoos. if you have a deep pocket for repairs go for it. $2000 is a good price. Personally I'd go for a carbed 96 or 97 800 GSX. Safer bet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts